By how many volts is the battery 'loaded down'?

• Thread starter a_patel32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary: How one gets to the answer depends upon one's understanding of the concepts. What is obvious to one may require a bit of "a-hah!" for another, particularly if it's early days studying a subject.In summary, the battery is "loaded down" when its emf falls below its rated value.
a_patel32
Battery "loaded down"?

Homework Statement

A current of 20 amperes is being drawn from a battery whose emf is 24 volts. The
internal resistance of the battery is 0.3 ohms. By how many volts is the battery "loaded
down"?

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what it means for the battery to be loaded down? Try searching for it but could not find anything. Please advice.

Physics news on Phys.org

a_patel32 said:

Homework Statement

A current of 20 amperes is being drawn from a battery whose emf is 24 volts. The
internal resistance of the battery is 0.3 ohms. By how many volts is the battery "loaded
down"?

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what it means for the battery to be loaded down? Try searching for it but could not find anything. Please advice.

Granted, "loaded down" is an inexact (perhaps colloquial) expression. In this case it refers to the amount by which the emf presented at the battery's terminals has fallen below its rated value.

Oh so after a battery has been used?

a_patel32 said:
Oh so after a battery has been used?
No, while it is being used.

Okay, I'm still unsure of how to solve this but I understand what you are saying so far, i think.

gneill said:
Granted, "loaded down" is an inexact (perhaps colloquial) expression. In this case it refers to the amount by which the emf presented at the battery's terminals has fallen below its rated value.

I'm kind of curious here. How much the emf at the terminals is below the rated value depends on what load you put on the battery right? So the "loaded down" voltage will be a function of the load resistance, right? Not a single number?

Dick said:
I'm kind of curious here. How much the emf at the terminals is below the rated value depends on what load you put on the battery right? So the "loaded down" voltage will be a function of the load resistance, right? Not a single number?

Indeed. Which is why the question asks, 'By how many volts is the battery "loaded
down"?' given a load drawing 20 A.

Last edited:

a_patel32 said:
Okay, I'm still unsure of how to solve this but I understand what you are saying so far, i think.

You have a 24V ideal voltage supply in series with 0.3 Ohms inside a box labelled "24V Battery". If a load that draws 20A is connected to this battery, what voltage will you "see" at the battery's terminals?

gneill said:
You have a 24V ideal voltage supply in series with 0.3 Ohms inside a box labelled "24V Battery". If a load that draws 20A is connected to this battery, what voltage will you "see" at the battery's terminals?

Is it necessary to calculate that? If "load down" refers to the amount by which the "usable" voltage has fallen, then they don't even need to provide the EMF of the cell, right? (given that they already stated the internal resistance and the current drawn)

gneill said:
Indeed. Which is why the question asks, 'By how many volts is the battery "loaded
down"?' given load drawing 20 A.

Ooops. I missed that they gave you the current. Duh. Sorry. Carry on.

Curious3141 said:
Is it necessary to calculate that? If "load down" refers to the amount by which the "usable" voltage has fallen, then they don't even need to provide the EMF of the cell, right? (given that they already stated the internal resistance and the current drawn)

How one gets to the answer depends upon one's understanding of the concepts. What is obvious to one may require a bit of "a-hah!" for another, particularly if it's early days studying a subject.

To answer your question, yes, you can determine the potential drop given the load current and the internal resistance. Whether or not this will be obvious or useful to the initial poster is another question :smile: Perhaps a_patel32 can comment.

What is a "battery loaded down"?

A "battery loaded down" refers to a battery that is experiencing a significant decrease in performance due to being connected to a load that requires a high amount of current. This can cause the battery to have a lower voltage and shorter lifespan.

How can a battery be loaded down?

A battery can be loaded down by being connected to a device or circuit that requires a high amount of current to function. This can include power tools, electronics, or any other device that uses a battery as a power source.

What are the effects of a battery being loaded down?

The effects of a battery being loaded down include a decrease in performance, a decrease in voltage, and a shorter lifespan. This can also lead to overheating and potential damage to the battery.

How can I prevent a battery from being loaded down?

To prevent a battery from being loaded down, it is important to use a battery that is appropriate for the device or circuit it is being connected to. It is also important to regularly check the battery's voltage and replace it if it is showing signs of being loaded down.

What should I do if I suspect my battery is being loaded down?

If you suspect your battery is being loaded down, it is best to disconnect it from the device or circuit it is connected to. This will prevent any further damage to the battery. You may also want to have the battery checked by a professional to ensure it is still functioning properly.