Calculating Talk Time for a 1050mAh Mobile Phone Battery Pack

In summary, a primary energy source is able to provide 0.7 Watts power in order to charge a mobile telephone battery pack. The telephone operates at 3.5 V, and the mobile telephone’s 3.5 V battery pack has a capacity of 1050mAh. The Attempt at a Solution states that if you convert your inputs in SI units then the answer should be in SI units of energy, as required in the question.
Travian

Homework Statement

A primary energy source is able to provide 0.7 Watts power in order to charge a mobile telephone battery pack. The telephone operates at 3.5 V, and the mobile telephone’s 3.5 V battery pack has a capacity of 1050mAh. In “talk” the mobile phone draws an average current from its battery of 100mA.

(i) How many minutes of talk time will this battery pack provide, at the average current for “talk”?

Homework Equations

P=0.7
I=100mA
V=3.5V

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I'm not sure what formula to use in order to find time. Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org

The capacity of the battery is given in mAh. This means units of current (amps) times units of time. So what would be the formula that defines the capacity of the battery?

This formula.
(Cb) = I x t

then
time = C / I
?
I need to find time

Last edited:

Travian said:
This formula.
(Cb) = I x t
Yes, this is it. It is actually electric charge (Q) but in battery industry they call it capacity.

Travian said:
then
time = I / (Cb)
?
I need to find time

No, this is not correct. Watch your algebra.
You need to find time and you can do it from the formula above (Cb=I x t). Solve for t.

Sorry i changed it to time=Cb/I

How can i use this formula (Cb=I x t) if i don't know time?
Shouldn't i use this? t=Cb/I (t = 1.05Ah / 0.1A = 10.5)

Last edited:

Travian said:
Sorry i changed it to time=Cb/I

How can i use this formula (Cb=I x t) if i don't know time?
Shouldn't i use this? t=Cb/I (t = 1.05Ah / 0.1A = 10.5)
Yes, now it's OK. You use Cb=I*t to calculate the time, t= Cb/I, as you wrote above.
First time you wrote t=I/Cb which is not correct.

so the answer i suppose is 10.5 hour = 650 minutes.

Last edited:

There are more to this exercise.

(ii)How much energy (in Joule units) is stored in the battery pack, when fully charged?

I used this formula:

E = Cb x V
E = 1.05Ah x 3.5V
E = 3.675 (what units?)

Travian said:
There are more to this exercise.

(ii)How much energy (in Joule units) is stored in the battery pack, when fully charged?

I used this formula:

E = Cb x V
E = 1.05Ah x 3.5V
E = 3.675 (what units?)

If you convert your inputs in SI units (something you did not do here) then the answer should be in SI units of energy, as required in the question.

SI units.. Ah to mAh and V to mV?

1. How do I calculate the watts of a battery pack?

To calculate the watts of a battery pack, you need to multiply the voltage of the pack by the current it can supply. This will give you the total power output in watts. For example, a 12-volt battery pack with a current of 10 amps would have a power output of 120 watts.

2. What is the difference between watt-hours and watts when talking about battery packs?

Watt-hours (Wh) is a measure of the total energy capacity of a battery pack, while watts (W) is a measure of the power output. Watt-hours takes into account both the voltage and the current of the battery pack, while watts only measures the current. So, a battery pack with a higher watt-hour rating will have a longer runtime than a pack with a lower watt-hour rating, even if they have the same watt output.

3. Can I increase the watts of a battery pack?

No, the watts of a battery pack are determined by the voltage and current it can supply. You can increase the watts by increasing either the voltage or the current, but this would require a different battery pack with different specifications.

4. What factors affect the watts of a battery pack?

The watts of a battery pack are affected by the voltage and current of the pack, as well as the type and quality of the battery cells used. Other factors such as temperature, age, and usage can also impact the watts of a battery pack over time.

5. How do I know the watts of my battery pack?

The watts of a battery pack should be listed in the specifications or product information when you purchase the pack. If you are unsure, you can also calculate the watts by multiplying the voltage by the current of the pack, as mentioned in the first question.