Creating a 36v Ebike Battery with 18650 Cells: Understanding Amp Output

In summary, the conversation discusses creating an ebike battery using 18650 cells and the factors to consider such as series and parallel connections, balance charging, and determining the battery's capabilities in terms of voltage and amperage. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding electronics and safety precautions before attempting such a project.
needhelp194
so i want to make a ebike battery out of 18650 cells, I've done all the research about series and parallel and balance charging but what is still unknown to me is i know i want 36v coming out of the battery and i don't know how to find the amps that the battery is capable of putting out, is the amps based off of the battery or how much the electronics it is wired to PULL from it. (so does the amps depend on the battery or how many amps the electronic, my motor 500w 36v, needs.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Specs. on "18650" read 2-3 A max. discharge.

The amperage the batteries are CAPABLE of supplying at the output voltage is one specification. The load may or may not CONSUME all that current capability at the operating voltage.

So, if the batteries are CAPABLE of supplying 10amps at 36Volts, and the load only CONSUMES 8 amps at 36V, then the batteries will simply provide the 8amps that the load consumes. But, if the load needs 15A at 36V, then the batteries are under-rated for the load and something needs to give.

The Ampere-Hour rating of a battery is specified/measured at a specific load current. Drawing more current than that load will result in an actual lower Ah capacity (not just a shorter battery life)

For example, a 2400mAh 18650 is rated at 240ma. It will lose half its capacity if you discharge at 4A. It becomes a 1200mAh battery. That is in addition to the fact that it discharges faster because you are drawing higher amperage. Again, this is a actual reduction in Ah capacity,

Here is a curve from http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?84980-2400mAh-LG-18650-cell-discharge-graph

18650_2400mAh.jpg

Likes anorlunda
so if i get 40 18650 cells in 4 paralleled and 10 serial how many amps is that capable of pushing out.

and also a lot of people have a balance charging circuit board of some sort. where can i get one. and how do i wire it for my 36v, 4 paralleled, 10 serial 18640 cell battery pack

keep in mind i have a 500w esc and motor 36v

Wow. It is just too dangerous for us to encourage you to do this project with so little education in electronics. Best case you end up with a system that doesn't work very well. Worst case you start a fire that hurts you or somebody else. (Do not ask me how I know about fires in battery powered systems...)

This thread is closed. Please take a basic electronics class (in person or online), and learn the basics so you don't need to rely on Internet advice that you don't understand. Please be safe and smart.

Last edited:

1. What are 18650 cells and why are they used in ebike batteries?

18650 cells are small, cylindrical lithium-ion batteries that are commonly used in electronics. They are popular for use in ebike batteries because they are lightweight, compact, and have a high energy density, meaning they can store a lot of energy in a small space.

2. How many 18650 cells are needed to create a 36v ebike battery?

The number of 18650 cells needed for a 36v ebike battery depends on the capacity of the cells. For example, if using cells with a capacity of 2,500mAh, 10 cells would be needed to create a 36v battery (3.6v x 10 = 36v). However, if using cells with a capacity of 3,500mAh, only 9 cells would be needed.

3. What is the amp output of a 36v ebike battery with 18650 cells?

The amp output of a 36v ebike battery with 18650 cells depends on the number and capacity of the cells used. To calculate the total amp output, multiply the capacity of one cell by the number of cells and divide by 1000. For example, if using 10 cells with a capacity of 2,500mAh, the total amp output would be 25 amps (2,500 x 10 / 1000 = 25).

4. How does the amp output affect the performance of an ebike?

The amp output of an ebike battery determines how much power can be delivered to the motor, which directly affects the performance of the ebike. A higher amp output means more power can be delivered, resulting in faster acceleration and higher top speeds. It also allows the ebike to tackle steeper hills and carry heavier loads.

5. Are there any safety considerations when creating a 36v ebike battery with 18650 cells?

Yes, there are several safety considerations to keep in mind when creating an ebike battery with 18650 cells. These include properly balancing the cells to ensure even charging and discharging, using a BMS (battery management system) to monitor and protect the battery, and following proper handling and storage procedures for lithium-ion batteries. It is also important to use high-quality cells from reputable manufacturers to reduce the risk of potential hazards.