Is My Battery Safe After Extended Heat Exposure?

• Thread starter abstracted6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the battery left in the car during a Texas summer expanded on the sides due to overheating of the cathode in the cells, causing the release of oxygen and activating a safety feature. This is a common disadvantage of lithium-ion batteries, as explained in the Safety Requirements section of the Wikipedia page.
abstracted6
So a battery to one of my phones got left in the car (just the battery) for an extended period of time during a Texas summer.

The sides of the battery expanded by a couple millimeters. But I can compress the sides with my fingers as if there was a pocket of air in between the outer tape (with markings/info on it) and whatever the next layer under is. I poked a small hole in the side and it sort of "deflated" and a strange smell asserted itself.

My curiosity want's to know what actually expanded under the heat?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How does heat exposure affect battery safety?

Heat exposure can have a significant impact on battery safety. It can cause the battery to overheat, which can lead to thermal runaway and potentially cause the battery to explode or catch fire. It can also accelerate the battery's degradation, reducing its capacity and overall lifespan.

2. What temperature range is considered safe for batteries?

The safe temperature range for most batteries is between 0°C (32°F) and 45°C (113°F). Temperatures above or below this range can increase the risk of thermal runaway and reduce the battery's performance and lifespan.

3. How long can a battery be exposed to heat before it becomes unsafe?

The length of time a battery can be exposed to heat before becoming unsafe varies depending on the type of battery and the temperature it is exposed to. In general, the higher the temperature and the longer the exposure, the greater the risk of battery failure. It is best to avoid prolonged exposure to high temperatures to ensure battery safety.

4. Can heat exposure cause a battery to leak?

Yes, heat exposure can cause a battery to leak. When a battery is exposed to high temperatures, the internal components can expand and put pressure on the casing, causing it to crack and leak. This can not only damage the battery, but also pose a safety hazard.

5. How can I tell if my battery is safe after extended heat exposure?

The best way to determine if your battery is safe after extended heat exposure is to visually inspect it for any physical damage, such as swelling or leakage. You can also monitor its performance, such as its capacity and charging time, to see if it has been affected. If you have any concerns, it is best to replace the battery to ensure your safety.