Battery questions

OmCheeto

Gold Member
Along those lines, having a battery that I can interact with means I can pull the plates and descale them. When a plate wears out, it can be replaced without tossing the whole battery. Venting should be easy since hyrogen gas is light.

Other than the nasty possiblity of explosion (and what is life without adventure?), I don't see a down side. Granted I haven't checked the costs of plate yet....
I'm not good at chemistry, so I'm not sure what is involved with descaling a plate. You might have to melt them down and create new plates.

As for suppliers? You might try http://www.globalspec.com" [Broken] as a starting point.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I would be careful of in a homemade battery is that the connections around the battery and plates are 'bullet proof'. I've seen several batteries explode and it is usually from arcing at connections after the battery has received a healthy charge. Hydrogen gas is the culprit. Make connections that are solid.
Point taken. I recall that there is an acid resistant coating used to moisture-proof electrical connections, and I'll look into that. Additionally, I had intended to store the battery away from the house, and in a pit.

OmCheeto

Gold Member
Point taken. I recall that there is an acid resistant coating used to moisture-proof electrical connections, and I'll look into that. Additionally, I had intended to store the battery away from the house, and in a pit.
I wouldn't go as far as digging a pit. The only explosion hazard from these batteries is either from internal pressure or hydrogen build up. I would recommend making sure the batteries have fail-safe vents.
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/safety_haz/forklift/batteries.html#_1_5
Why is there a danger of exploding batteries?

The charging of lead-acid batteries can be hazardous. When batteries are being recharged, they generate hydrogen gas that is explosive in certain concentrations in air (the flammability or explosive limits are 4.1% to 72% hydrogen in air). The spark-retarding vents help slow the rate of release of hydrogen, but the escaping hydrogen may form an explosive atmosphere around the battery if ventilation is poor. The ventilation system should be designed to provide an adequate amount of fresh air for the number of batteries being charged. This is essential to prevent an explosion.
There are some more exploding battery stories at the following site. All appear to be caused by either short circuiting or lack of ventilation during charging:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-solder-with-an-AA-battery-and-a-car-battery/?comments=all
i had a frozen car battery explode at arms length from me while i was trying to charge it.
i lost a tooth and a good percentage of my hearing.
car batteries have my undying respect.
be carefull
Just remember that batteries can short circuit internally. So every precaution taken on your part may be negated by the battery itself.

hmmmm.... On second thought, maybe you should dig a pit.