Replacing Batteries in Chair Lift with DC Power Supply

• Thread starter rknudson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the chair lift has two small 12 volt batteries in series to provide 24Vdc to power the chair. The unit has a 24Vdc 4 amp motor. The motor is not used that often and battery replacement is an expense the church cannot always support. I am seeking the DC power supply solution to have the chair available anytime it might be required. Any input from this forum would be appreciated to point me in the right direction.
Pretty generally the spec on the motor will be "xyz amps at abc rpm". At very near zero rpm, it will try to drain a lot more than that. Motors quite often will accept 10 or more times their ratings under those condition, and batteries can supply it, for a short time. Power supplies often cannot because they are speced to other requirements, like regulation of the voltage and lack of interference with rf devices and so on. As they say above, try a heavy duty un-regulated supply, such as a battery replacement supply. In fact, and automotive battery charger - replacer might be just what you want.

Physics news on Phys.org
rknudson said:
I want to eliminate the batteries to ensure the unit works when it is required to work. Sometimes the chair is not parked in the proper charging station and when they go to use it the batteries are dead.
I can appreciate the benefits long-term of eliminating battery dependence. In light of sundry issues that have been raised in consequence of this, perhaps an answer for the short-to-medium term might be a buzzer that sounds when the conveyance is parked but is not correctly connected to the charger?