Battery selection for the hybrid motorcyle

• Automotive
  • Thread starter sherazi21st
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary: Nothing more.In summary, the OP was tasked with developing a motorcycle that is hybrid. He has no other specs, so designing around tires is prudent. He should first define a realistic scope for his project and feasibility study before proceeding.
sherazi21st
hi all,
I'm designing a hybrid motorcycle and want to select a battery for that. Can anyone tell me what will be the input parameter for the selection of the battery the motorcycle?

Engineering news on Phys.org
what kind of performance do you want from the bike (acceleration, range, carrying capacity, etc)

I don't have any specific performance specs. This is final year project of BS. You can assume any specs. My project is to design a hybrid motorcycle with any specs.

sherazi21st said:
I don't have any specific performance specs. This is final year project of BS. You can assume any specs. My project is to design a hybrid motorcycle with any specs.

no specs?
then use a AA battery. cheap & readily available!
and it fits in with all the other requirements you have!

Would this hybrid be using an inverter or will it be DC?

ok, serious answer: you need more design specs- think about what you want your motorcycle to do!
I'm a member of an automotive design club (FSAE) at my school, and we had someone come in and talk to us about design. He said to pick our tires, and work around them- so once you have acceleration/handling specs figured out, you can pick tires that can handle them, and design your engine/frame/etc. around that.
From that point, you can start thinking about more in-depth features, such as what battery you need

I'm pretty sure that the "hybrid" part is the main focus.

HowlerMonkey said:
I'm pretty sure that the "hybrid" part is the main focus.

why do you say that?
the "hybrid part" (whatever that may mean) isn't what's going to be in contact with the road. A battery can't prevent a skid.

"Engineers, in the fulfillment of their professional duties, shall hold paramount the safety, health, and welfare of the public."

or did you forget your engineering ethics?

He's asking about hybrid batteries and you discuss tires?

Maybe I can author a thread about PRTs on a 3350 radial and you can suggest I need to get the landing gear doors sorted out before I pick my engine.

HowlerMonkey said:
He's asking about hybrid batteries and you discuss tires?

Maybe I can author a thread about PRTs on a 3350 radial and you can suggest I need to get the landing gear doors sorted out before I pick my engine.

OP was tasked with developing a motorcycle that is hybrid. He has no other specs. Designing around tires is prudent, because they are in contact with the road, and are directly responsible for acceleration/handling etc.

He asked about the hybrid battery.

HowlerMonkey said:
He asked about the hybrid battery.

And in subsequent posts, OP made it clear that his project wasn't to select a battery, but rather to "design a hybrid motorcycle with any specs."

Go with Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries, as they're the only ones that won't explode from impacts amongst the secondary battery types with the best capacities. They also retain their capacity a lot longer than other lithium batteries and charge 10 times faster. This enables you to take a charger with you to re-charge in 10-20 minutes if needed for extremely long trips, compared to the hour+ charge of other lithium types.

jehan60188 said:
And in subsequent posts, OP made it clear that his project wasn't to select a battery, but rather to "design a hybrid motorcycle with any specs."

It is you who guided the topic toward tires from his original post.

Scroll up.

I guided the topic towards an engineering solution. "Teach a man to fish..."
That being said, your shortsightedness in engineering is humorous and frightening. You lack the capacity to think beyond anything besides a bandage solution, and I hope for the sake of humanity you aren't on any important projects.
You can continue trolling in this topic, howler, but I've got better things to do.
Live long, and prosper.

jehan60188 said:
OP was tasked with developing a motorcycle that is hybrid. He has no other specs. Designing around tires is prudent, because they are in contact with the road, and are directly responsible for acceleration/handling etc.

You've kind of missed the point. The remit is to design a hybrid drive system for a bike, that's the focus, not the bike itself. The bike, beyond some very basic parameters, is irrelevant.The first thing the OP should do is define a realistic scope for his project, along with a feasibility study.

xxChrisxx said:
You've kind of missed the point and the direction of the thread.

The remit is to design a hybrid drive system for a bike, that's the focus, not the bike itself. The bike, beyond some very basic parameters, is irrelevant.

The first thing the OP should do is define a realistic scope for his project.
A feasibility study is the next step.

this!
lol, I was trying to help him do this!

I realize you are enthusiastic, and are trying to apply what you have learned to help, but in this case we need to take it one step at a time.

The first step before any project, is scope and feasibility. This is done before all projects in the engineering world. It's basically the same as a literature review in Science.

The OP should begin scouring the interwebs and technical journals/magazines. For any information related to hybrid bikes. Futher to this, he needs to define the scope of his project. This involves him sitting down, and estimating what he is realistically going to be able to achieve with the time and resources available. It's better to a good job with a smaller scope, than a poor job by being overly ambitious.

Last edited:
If he can't satisfy the "hybrid portion" of his project, the tires won't matter.

I am sure any tire he might need is already being manufactured.

What is not easily found on the market is the subject of his original post.

Last edited:
Can nickel metal hydride battery be used...

To keep your cost down consider a lead acid AGM battery. Compact and light. Takes a very high amp charge. Select one designed for high cranking amps.

1. What type of battery is best for a hybrid motorcycle?

The best type of battery for a hybrid motorcycle is a lithium-ion battery. These batteries have a high energy density, meaning they can store a lot of energy in a small and lightweight package. They also have a longer lifespan compared to other types of batteries, making them a more cost-effective option in the long run.

2. How do I know what size battery to get for my hybrid motorcycle?

The size of the battery you need will depend on the power and range requirements of your motorcycle. It's important to consider the weight and space limitations of your motorcycle when choosing a battery. It's best to consult with a professional or refer to the manufacturer's recommendations for the specific model of your motorcycle.

3. Can I use a regular lead-acid battery for my hybrid motorcycle?

No, it's not recommended to use a regular lead-acid battery for a hybrid motorcycle. Lead-acid batteries are heavier and have a lower energy density compared to lithium-ion batteries. This can significantly impact the performance and range of your hybrid motorcycle. It's best to stick with a lithium-ion or other suitable battery type for optimal performance.

4. How long does a hybrid motorcycle battery last?

The lifespan of a hybrid motorcycle battery can vary depending on usage and maintenance. On average, a lithium-ion battery can last up to 10 years or 100,000 miles. However, it's important to regularly maintain and monitor the battery's health to ensure optimal performance and longevity.

5. Can I replace the battery in my hybrid motorcycle myself?

Replacing the battery in a hybrid motorcycle can be a complex process and should ideally be done by a professional. It requires specialized knowledge and tools to properly install and connect the battery. It's important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions when replacing the battery to avoid any potential hazards.