Battery Shock

  • Thread starter IMGOOD
  • Start date
32
0
Why is it that when you put your two finger on the opposite terminals of a 1.5 V battery, you don't get an electric shock? (Or maybe you do, but you just don't feel it?). I am guessing that this is because our body has a high resistance, is that correct?
 
Last edited:

chroot

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
10,166
34
Yes, your body (more specifically, your skin) has a rather high resistance. A small amount of current still flows, but it is not sufficient to cause sensation.

A few years ago, the automotive industry decided upon 40V as the maximum safe voltage for human exposure; this is still well below the threshold of sensation. The minimum voltage required for sensation depends on specifics like skin moisture, but is usually above 60V.

Obviously, the mucosa presents a much lower resistance than does the skin; you can quite easily feel 10V placed across your tongue, for example.

- Warren
 
32
0
Thanks a lot chroot. :smile:
 
can you measure static shock in volts? it smarts
 

berkeman

Mentor
55,971
6,013
can you measure static shock in volts? it smarts
You mean like when you get up off your cloth-covered chair or walk across a dry rug? That shock is several kV.

There is actually an industry standard set of tests (EN 61000-4-2) that we use to test products to be sure that they can survive and continue operating normally when hit with an electrostatic discharge (ESD) transient. We test up to 15kV air discharges for most products.
 
360
0
A few years ago, the automotive industry decided upon 40V as the maximum safe voltage for human exposure; this is still well below the threshold of sensation. The minimum voltage required for sensation depends on specifics like skin moisture, but is usually above 60V.
Ho-Ho-Ho!
Ever tryed to turn off and on a 50V DC source while holding its electrodes?I highly recommend not trying it.
You might simply find yourself jumping up and down to a ceilling.
 
Last edited:
173
0
Ho-Ho-Ho!
Ever tryed to turn off and on a 50V DC source while holding its electrodes?I highly recommend not trying it.
You might simply find yourself jumping up and down to a ceilling.
Yeah I remember back in Physics 12 where we were doing an electricity lab with some DC bench power supplies. Anyhow, we cranked it to 50v (its max output) and grabbed the electrodes. It gives a pretty good tingle, little too much for me to handle for more than a second.
 
343
0
Ho-Ho-Ho!
Ever tryed to turn off and on a 50V DC source while holding its electrodes?I highly recommend not trying it.
You might simply find yourself jumping up and down to a ceilling.
Ever accidentally grounded yourself to an 120V AC outlet:bugeye: ??? That really hurts:cry: ....
 
53
0
if you place a 9V battery on your tounge you can actually feel the shock :D
 
ya i grounded my self to a 220 V outlet quite a lot of times :surprised:
hurts like hell but i am still alive :cool:

some one tell me which is more dangerous
220V AC or 220V DC
for the same conditions
 

chroot

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
10,166
34
DC is usually considered more dangerous than AC. 60 Hz AC has instants of zero voltage 120 times a second. During the portions of the sine wave where the voltage is rather small, you might be able to let go.

- Warren
 
DC:eek: :eek:

this i gotta stay away from

once you are stuck there is no letting go.........
am i right??
 
thanks chroot by the way
 
Mr. Eddison was so convinced AC was the devil (very very dangerous) compared to DC, he used the electric chair as his advocate. ;)
 
360
0
Ever accidentally grounded yourself to an 120V AC outlet:bugeye: ??? That really hurts:cry: ....
Actually to 380V AC and lived to tell about it.
Not just that it really hurts but I was thrown across the room.
That incident when I was kid,thought me a lesson not to mess with electricity above 10 V (AC or DC whatsoever...)
 
32
0
You mean like when you get up off your cloth-covered chair or walk across a dry rug? That shock is several kV.
Then how come that doesn't kill you?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
10-20kV "static electric" shock like when you get up from your desk isn't dangerous.

Sure, such a shock could ignite gasoline, but it's not going to hurt you otherwise.

Why?

It's CURRENT that kills you, not voltage, technically.

That 10-20KV static electricity is just a potential, very little to no current flows through you.

Now, hook yourself up to the terminals of a giant 10-20KV generator, and you're toast. That's because it will pump out tons of amps at 10-20kV (toasty!)

So when the electrical power areas say "Danger, High Voltage" it should really say "Danger, high voltage and current". Simply high voltage potentials aren't going to hurt ya ;)



-Matt
 

berkeman

Mentor
55,971
6,013
10-20kV "static electric" shock like when you get up from your desk isn't dangerous.
Mostly correct, but I'll add a little bit. The static shock you get on a dry day when you touch something would rarely get over 5kV. And as MedievalMan alludes to, the energy storage of your body is low. Also, the current flow is from the exterior of your body surface out your fingertip or elbow or whatever, and very little of it runs through the inside of your body where your heart and brain would be vulnerable.

Now having said that, I managed to accidentally shock myself arm-to-arm one day while doing 20kV ESD testing of a product (dumb error on my part). The EN 61000-4-2 testing that I was doing is designed to mimick the source impedance and energy storage of a human, while going to higher voltages than you will normally encounter (to ensure that your product is robust in the real world). I have to tell you, that arm-to-arm shot definitely went partially through my chest cavity, and my heart skipped a beat. Definitely not something I want to repeat (and I've been more careful about the error I made that resulted in the shot). :eek:
 
360
0
Mostly correct, but I'll add a little bit. The static shock you get on a dry day when you touch something would rarely get over 5kV. And as MedievalMan alludes to, the energy storage of your body is low.
Berkemen, do you know what's the threshold energy of ESD life dangeorous to adult humans?I bet medicine physicians working with defibs probably know...
 
This is probably a bad analogy, but anyway:

Think of the amount of damage done to you by electricity in terms of power:

P=V*I

So, even if you have an extremely high V, if the I is negligble (as is the case of static shocks from your desk) it doesn't damage you.

Similarly, a car battery could kill you at 12V, since the battery can source a lot of amps.



(This might be a bad analogy here guys, correct me if I'm wrong.)
 

berkeman

Mentor
55,971
6,013
Berkemen, do you know what's the threshold energy of ESD life dangeorous to adult humans?I bet medicine physicians working with defibs probably know...
The static shock would have to get into your heart or brain, which doesn't usually happen with real-world zapping yourself accidentally. Defibs use conductive gel to help get the shock into your chest (at two points to cross the chest cavity with the current), and the heart is not beating anyway.

Bottom line is that low-energy ESD shocks shouldn't normally be dangerous. But as you say, shocks from other sources with more energy can be dangerous.
 
343
0
Actually to 380V AC and lived to tell about it.
Not just that it really hurts but I was thrown across the room.
That incident when I was kid,thought me a lesson not to mess with electricity above 10 V (AC or DC whatsoever...)
ya i got hit with 120 AC when i was a kid too. I accidently grabbed the metal of a plug while it was in an outlet. I was a kid, what do you expect??
 
188
0
i'd expect it would have something to do with the path through your nervous system, if it's only two fingers on your hand it should have less impact then both hands. when i was little i stuck my finger and a screwdriver in a wall socket and came out with a black finger. :surprised
 
So let me get this straight (on the issue of static elect)...

since the body doesn't store very much energy to perform this

W = IVt.

So even though V is big, W is still small

W/V = It

so you have small divided by big which = smaller...and this is why the current is small and it doesn't last long (IE not dangerous)?
 

chroot

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
10,166
34
Static electricity as experienced by people doesn't typically involve very many electrons. Even if you only pull a few thousand electrons off a material, you can create enormous voltages. When discharged, there's a surprising shock, but only a very small amount of energy is really released.

- Warren
 

Related Threads for: Battery Shock

  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
14
Views
5K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
28
Views
9K
  • Last Post
Replies
10
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
7K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
9K
Top