Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Battery/Solar Powered Heater

1. Apr 26, 2008 #1
    Hey,

I have an idea for a device that I'm trying to fabricate, and I could use some help with the design. Hopefully you can tell me if what I want to do is possible, and what components I'd need. Thanks.

My idea is for a device, maybe 6 inches long by four wide that would contain a damp object. When the damp object is inserted, either a pressure switch or some moisture sensors would activate the device and it would begin heating the object either for a specified period of time, or until the object was dry. It would be powered by rechargeable batteries that you could charge via a wall socket, but possibly also powered or partially powered via solar cells. The temperature produced by the device would need to be low enough to be safe to the human touch---maybe 120 degrees fahrenheit.

Is this feasable via battery power, and how complicated would the electronics be? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2
    simple circutry- 2 electrodes switching a transistor switching a relay and adjustable thermostat for temp control and a heating element- nichrome wire possibly or carbon rod, tungsten, iron, ect...
    fesable, yes voltage of the battery has to be at least 3 volts, but 12 volt is the easiest to find chargers and things like that

4. Apr 28, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should also look at adding a small fan.
    Removing the damp air is also a pretty effective way of drying something.

5. Apr 30, 2008 #4
    could any of you help me out with a wiring diagram? I am not electrically inclined...

6. May 1, 2008 #5
  7. May 1, 2008 #6
    the country you are located in will determine avalibility of certain things like battery voltages and fan voltages, computer fans are usually 12 volt, at least all the ones i have encountered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?