Is a Battery/Solar Powered Heater Feasible and Safe for Personal Use?

• Thread starter jsbarone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heater
In summary, the conversation discusses an idea for a device that would heat and dry a damp object using rechargeable batteries and possibly solar power. The device would need to reach a safe temperature of 120 degrees Fahrenheit and the electronics required for this function are relatively simple. Suggestions are made for using a fan and removing damp air to increase effectiveness. A wiring diagram is also requested for those who are not electrically inclined. The conversation also mentions various battery and fan voltages and provides resources for further information.
jsbarone
Hey,

I have an idea for a device that I'm trying to fabricate, and I could use some help with the design. Hopefully you can tell me if what I want to do is possible, and what components I'd need. Thanks.

My idea is for a device, maybe 6 inches long by four wide that would contain a damp object. When the damp object is inserted, either a pressure switch or some moisture sensors would activate the device and it would begin heating the object either for a specified period of time, or until the object was dry. It would be powered by rechargeable batteries that you could charge via a wall socket, but possibly also powered or partially powered via solar cells. The temperature produced by the device would need to be low enough to be safe to the human touch---maybe 120 degrees fahrenheit.

Is this feasible via battery power, and how complicated would the electronics be? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
simple circutry- 2 electrodes switching a transistor switching a relay and adjustable thermostat for temp control and a heating element- nichrome wire possibly or carbon rod, tungsten, iron, ect...
fesable, yes voltage of the battery has to be at least 3 volts, but 12 volt is the easiest to find chargers and things like that

You should also look at adding a small fan.
Removing the damp air is also a pretty effective way of drying something.

could any of you help me out with a wiring diagram? I am not electrically inclined...

common battery voltages-1.5, 3, 5, 6, 9, 12, 24, and 36 volts
two very good sites out start out on:
http://openbookproject.net//electricCircuits/Exper/index.html"
and
good reference- http://www.discovercircuits.com/list.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
the country you are located in will determine avalibility of certain things like battery voltages and fan voltages, computer fans are usually 12 volt, at least all the ones i have encountered.

1. How does a battery/solar powered heater work?

A battery/solar powered heater works by converting electrical energy from a battery or solar panel into heat energy. The battery or solar panel powers a heating element, which then heats up the surrounding air or liquid.

2. Are battery/solar powered heaters effective in cold climates?

Battery/solar powered heaters can be effective in cold climates, but their effectiveness may vary depending on the specific model and weather conditions. They may work better in areas with more sunlight, and may not be as effective in extremely cold temperatures.

3. How long does a battery/solar powered heater last?

The lifespan of a battery/solar powered heater can vary depending on usage and maintenance. On average, they can last for several years with proper care and regular battery replacement.

4. Can a battery/solar powered heater be used indoors?

It is not recommended to use battery/solar powered heaters indoors as they can produce carbon monoxide and other harmful gases. They are designed for outdoor use only.

5. Are there any safety concerns with battery/solar powered heaters?

As with any electrical device, there are potential safety concerns with battery/solar powered heaters. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions when using these heaters. It is also important to regularly check and replace the batteries to prevent overheating or other hazards.