1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Battery with internal resistor

1. May 9, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Battery with internal resistor

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the current in a 8.25 ohm resistor connected to a battery that has a .21 ohm internal resistance when the potential drop across the terminals of the battery is 6V?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]R_{s}=R_{1}+R_{2}...[/tex]

[tex]V=IR[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I believe that the internal resistor can just be considered being in series to the other resistor, allowing me to calculate the equivalent resistor. Then with that, using V=IR, I thought I was able to get the current flowing through the circuit. I got .70921 A
    Can someone correct my train of thought?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that the potential drop across the terminals includes the internal resistance of the battery. The internal resistance of a battery may be depicted thus,
    [​IMG]
    So the actual emf of the battery is the 6V plus the voltage drop across the internal resistance. Do you follow?

Image courtesy of Hyperphysics

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  4. May 9, 2008 #3
    Yes I do thank you for your help. Funny that you got the picture off hyperphysics, I was on there trying to read about this

5. May 9, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No problem.
    Hyperphysics is an excellent general physics reference, I'm glad that you chose to look there rather than Wikipedia :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?