What Reactions Occur in a Battery with Two Half Cells?

In summary: Ag+(aq)This is the equation for the battery, but what you are trying to ask is what are the net reactions?In summary, you have two half cells that are each provided with a silver rod and a zinc rod. The silver rod has a charge of 0.025 M and the zinc rod has a charge of 0.150 M. The two half cells are in aqueous solutions and when you put the silver rod into theZn(NO3)2 solution it will lose electrons and the zinc rod will gain electrons. This will create an electric current.
lonerider

Homework Statement

I have got a battery with two half cells.

One cell with.
A silver rod in a 100 mL AgNO3 0,025 M solution.

One cell with.
A zinc rod in a 100 mL Zn(NO3)2 0,150 M solution.

So my question is what reactions happen?

And which reaction is the electricity providing one?

Homework Equations

I do not think that there are any

The Attempt at a Solution

My bet

First cell (with Ag)
Ag+ + NO3- + e- -> Ag + NO3-

Second cell (with Zn)
Zn(NO3)2 -> Zn2+ NO32- but then where are the electrons? Furthermore I think this is the electricity providing one!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not to be irritating, but some help would be very appreciated...

Homemade batteries are cool to make. This info doesn't really help you but you should also try yo make a http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/echem/fuel_cell/fuel_cell.html" . Its pretty interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am afraid (as you said) that piece of information will not prove very usefull...

First off, you need to label solids, aqueous or gaseous of the elements & solutions.

Basic idea: Redox Reactions [reduction & oxidation reactions. LEO says GER, Loss of Electrons = Oxidation. GER = Gain of Electrons = Reduction. You basically have a reaction where there's a loss of electrons and a gain of electrons.

To cause the loss or gain of these electrons there needs to be reactions taking place that turns these elements into ions.

Here's some things to think about

Ag solid silver rod -> What does it want to be and what does it do?
Zn solid silver rod -> What does it want to be and what does it do?

Ag Solution -> What is this exactly [*note* you figure out it's charge]?
Zn Solution -> What is this exactly [*note* you figure out it's charge]?

How is AgNO3 and Zn(NO3)2 related to both?

Have a try at the problem again and if not, I'll help you through it.

Last edited:
lonerider said:

Homework Statement

I have got a battery with two half cells.

One cell with.
A silver rod in a 100 mL AgNO3 0,025 M solution.

One cell with.
A zinc rod in a 100 mL Zn(NO3)2 0,150 M solution.

So my question is what reactions happen?

And which reaction is the electricity providing one?

Homework Equations

I do not think that there are any

The Attempt at a Solution

My bet

First cell (with Ag)
Ag+ + NO3- + e- -> Ag + NO3-

Second cell (with Zn)
Zn(NO3)2 -> Zn2+ NO32- but then where are the electrons? Furthermore I think this is the electricity providing one!

In the first equation, you have written Ag+ and NO3- as ions, whereas in the second you have written Zinc Nitrate as a compound. You should stick to writing out the ionic equations.

Also, in the second equation, you have the charge on the nitrate ion as 2-; this is different to the (correct) ion in the first equation.

You also seem to be mixing up metal solids and metal ions. Try using state symbols. Do you know how Ag(s) is different to Ag2+(aq)? Try writing the equations again.

edit: very slow typing from me!

AngeloG said:
First off, you need to label solids, aqueous or gaseous of the elements & solutions.

Basic idea: Redox Reactions [reduction & oxidation reactions. LEO says GER, Loss of Electrons = Oxidation. GER = Gain of Electrons = Reduction. You basically have a reaction where there's a loss of electrons and a gain of electrons.

To cause the loss or gain of these electrons there needs to be reactions taking place that turns these elements into ions.

Here's some things to think about

Ag solid silver rod -> What does it want to be and what does it do?
Zn solid silver rod -> What does it want to be and what does it do?

Ag Solution -> What is this exactly [*note* you figure out it's charge]?
Zn Solution -> What is this exactly [*note* you figure out it's charge]?

How is AgNO3 and Zn(NO3)2 related to both?

Have a try at the problem again and if not, I'll help you through it.

Well the main problem is that I know I have to solutions.

Ag(s)+Ag+(aq)+NO3-(aq) ->

I have no idea what that will become the same about the zinc where it is.

Zn(s)+Zn2+(aq)+2NO3-(aq) ->

That is kind of where I am stuck...

Here's a thought: Does the NO3 matter as an ion or a compound? Will it cancel itself out in the end equation?

Zn ( s ) -> Zn 2+ ( aq ) + 2 e-
Ag ( s ) -> Ag + ( a ) + 1 e-

What happens with the net reaction?

Well but then what really happens if you put that together you get that
Zn ( s ) 2Ag(aq)+ -> Zn 2+ ( aq ) + 2Ag(s)

That is exactly what happens during the reaction.

Now tell me. Which one is the anode and which one is the cathode?

I'll take you through the steps through each post heh.

Remember, LEO says GER. Anode = oxidation occurs, Cathode = reduction occurs.

Just a side note->
Normally, in a cell reaction there is a salt bridge. In which electrons can flow freely between both cells heh.

I have my college class in about 15 minutes [2 PM PST -> 3:20 PM PST]; so if I don't get to you that's the reason why.

Well thank you you have helped enough, you have been very heplful and for that I am most grateful. Thanks a lot!

1. What is a battery with two half cells?

A battery with two half cells is a type of electrochemical cell that consists of two separate half cells, each with its own electrode and electrolyte solution. These two half cells are connected by a conductive material, which allows for the flow of electrons between them.

2. How does a battery with two half cells work?

In a battery with two half cells, one half cell undergoes an oxidation reaction, releasing electrons, while the other half cell undergoes a reduction reaction, accepting electrons. The flow of electrons between the two half cells creates an electrical current that can be used to power devices.

3. What is the difference between a battery with two half cells and a traditional battery?

A traditional battery typically consists of one single cell, while a battery with two half cells has two separate half cells. Additionally, in a traditional battery, both the oxidation and reduction reactions occur within the same cell, whereas in a battery with two half cells, the reactions occur in separate half cells.

4. What are some common applications of batteries with two half cells?

Batteries with two half cells are commonly used in electronic devices such as laptops, cell phones, and cameras. They are also used in larger applications such as electric vehicles and renewable energy storage systems.

5. How can I extend the lifespan of a battery with two half cells?

To extend the lifespan of a battery with two half cells, it is important to properly care for and maintain the battery. This includes avoiding overcharging, using the correct charging methods, and storing the battery in a cool and dry environment. It is also important to regularly check the battery for any signs of damage or wear and replace it if necessary.