i hope im asking this at the right place i just have a few questions.... why does it take so much power (115v) to heat up a small coil(heating element) roughly the size of a spring in a pen. what could get just as hot, maybe a resistor? i have a 18 volt battery from a drill and i need to get something small hot (red hot!) for atleast five minutes. if anybody can help me it would be appreciated. now i know that a battery could do it but it would be extremely expensive. but what else could i use instead of a coil (basic heating element). something that a 18v battery could get hot?