Battle bots like in Big Hero 6

• Thread starter Zephyr007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    robotics
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of Battlebots, where engineers create robots to fight each other. The discussion delved into the potential impact of these robots on society, with some wondering if it could lead to a new era of robotic warfare. Others saw it as a source of entertainment and fun. The conversation also mentioned a US company that raised funds to build a giant fighting robot for an exhibition match against a Japanese robot. Some participants also brought up the use of unmanned drones in warfare and the ethical concerns surrounding fully automated drones. The conversation ended with a summary of the first season of the new Battlebots show.
Zephyr007
So... Today I watched a video on YouTube and I found Battlebots where engineers make robots designed to fight other robots. Just like in a clip showed in Big Hero 6. Will these robots create the new era of "robotic warfare", or bring peace and enjoyment to others? Please comment your thoughts... thanks.

Here's a video:

Physics news on Phys.org
I remember this show but I never watched much. Still I think it's a great idea and would make for some great fun in high school or college.

We had a toned down version of battle bots at the end of our robotics course in gymnasium. Heavily toned down :D
It's lots of fun to watch and see how different solutions work against a certain type of design.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
A US company is trying to start a giant fighting robot league and has raised half a million dollars to build a robot for an exhibition match against a Japanese robot: http://gizmodo.com/this-company-wants-to-start-a-new-sports-league-with-gi-1731339815

The US already uses unmanned drones for targeted killings, so the age of robotic warfare is already here. The next stage would be fully automated drones (without remote pilots), though there is considerable debate about the ethics of such weapons.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
They just finished the first season of the new battlebots.
The show was hosted by Kenny Florian, Chris Rose, Molly McGrath, Alison Haislip, and Faruq Tauheed.
The started with 24 teams, with 12 being eliminated in the first few weeks, after which 4 got a second chance.
Every week they eliminated a couple more teams. The whole season was, I think, 6 or 7 weeks long.
It was very reminiscent of the original battlebots.

1. What are battle bots like in Big Hero 6?

Battle bots in Big Hero 6 are advanced, robotic fighting machines that are designed and programmed by individuals or teams to compete in battles against other bots. These bots are equipped with various weapons and abilities to defeat their opponents.

2. How do battle bots work?

Battle bots work through a combination of mechanical engineering and computer programming. They are typically controlled remotely by a human operator and can perform various actions and movements based on their programming and design.

3. Are battle bots in Big Hero 6 realistic?

While the concept of battle bots in Big Hero 6 may seem far-fetched, the technology and scientific principles behind them are based on real-life advancements in robotics and artificial intelligence. However, the capabilities and features shown in the movie may be exaggerated for entertainment purposes.

4. Can anyone build a battle bot like in Big Hero 6?

Building a battle bot requires a significant amount of knowledge and skills in mechanical engineering, electronics, and computer programming. While anyone can learn these skills, it may be challenging for individuals without a background in these areas to build a battle bot on their own.

5. Are there real-life battle bot competitions?

Yes, there are real-life battle bot competitions held around the world, such as BattleBots and Robot Wars. These events bring together engineers and robot enthusiasts to showcase their creations and compete against each other in exciting battles.