Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Battle: Wasp!

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Over the past couple of days a large number of wasps have been getting inside my house. When I got home from work Monday and went to open the window next to my computer, there were 3 wasps between the blinds and window. I got the wasp spray and shot them down, before I could get something to dispose of them, 4 more wasps fell out of the window. I could not find where they had come from.

A couple of hours later, I heard the Fruit Bat scuffling with something and it was another wasp.

Yesterday when I came home, a war had obviously raged that day between a dozen wasps, my cat and my dog. Everything loose on my desk near the window was on the floor along with a dozen dead or squirming wasps. Last night the Fruit Bat took down another couple of wasps. I have checked EVERYWHERE for where they are getting in (they are only at this one window) and there are no holes, not even cracks. I've looked on the outside of the window and everything seems sealed up. I'm flaberghasted. It's like they are teleporting in. :bugeye:

I'm just hoping that a bunch don't get in today and harm Dr Foofer or the Fruit Bat. I don't know what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2008 #2

berkeman

Hang up a wasp trap. Those yellow things you get at the hardware store.

EDIT -- and put one outside near that window too.

4. Oct 2, 2008 #3

Evo

Oh, I hadn't even thought of that. It's all brick on the outside though, the window frame is (vinyl?), not wood. I wish I could figure out where they are coming in, I find them all around the window, but the ones the fruit bat got were towrds the living room. I was thinking they were coming out of the fireplace, perhaps had a nest in the chimney, but then why do they all go to that one window?

5. Oct 2, 2008 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might tape plastic over the entire window and see if that traps them. There is probably a crack between the window frame and the building somewhere... probably behind the molding.

6. Oct 2, 2008 #5
    When bees and wasps get in a house they usually head for a window. Could they be getting in somewhere else and this window happens to be the closest?

Definitly use the traps.

7. Oct 2, 2008 #6

Astronuc

I was visiting a colleague yesterday. He remodeling his house, and he said that when they took of the siding they found all sorts of insects including bees and wasps.

As Ivan indicated they get into the wall through cracks and can find cracks/passages into the house. We've only had very few do that, but I've seen wasps building nests around parts of the siding - and I found one group building a nest in joint between two cinderblocks. The mortar had warn away and there was a hole just the right size for a wasp to crawl through.

Once inside they'll go to the window - usually with the most light. So in the morning, they go east and in the afternoon west. And you're more likely to find them on the south side of the house.

8. Oct 2, 2008 #7

Evo

I could see one or two getting in through a crack, but we're talking about dozens seemingly at once. I've never seen anything like it.

It's the large number that concerns me with my pets.

9. Oct 2, 2008 #8
    This is not good Evo, The wasps are finished with their reproduction duties and having nothing to do anymore, they are just looking for trouble.

In Holland we would just call pest control. Perhaps try this.

10. Oct 2, 2008 #9
    Another tip... Take some incense and hold it by all the window and door frames to see where there could be a draft. Any place that you find a draft, close it up with sealer or something. I think those buggers are like mice and rats where they can squeeze through tiny holes.

And....

You have a pet bat? :surprised For real?

11. Oct 2, 2008 #10

Evo

12. Oct 2, 2008 #11
    but there are 2 different rumors going around. 1.) Evo turns into a bat late at night and 2.) Evo turns people who make her mad into bats.

13. Oct 2, 2008 #12

Evo

3.) Evo drives people batty.

14. Oct 2, 2008 #13
    Beware the blue eyed, long-tailed, crotch-dwelling froot bat. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  15. Oct 2, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're finding that many, there must be a nest somewhere, and it could be in a wall.

Have you looked in the window frame itself? One place I've had insects set up shop is in that space where the tension springs for the windows run. Usually, there's something over it to cover up the cords or springs, and you wouldn't immediately realize if there was a wasp's nest tucked down in there.

But, it's not Dr. Foofer and the Fruit Bat that I'm worried about. They seem able to take care of themselves. You're the one I'm worried will wind up stung if you try to take care of it yourself. This is something the apartment owners should take care of, so make them deal with the exterminators while you're safely at work.

16. Oct 2, 2008 #15
    If you are careful you won't get stung, go for it. Nobody likes a coward.

17. Oct 2, 2008 #16

Evo

I got home and the wasp attack has ceased. I guess Dr Foofer and the Fruit Bat got them all. The Fruit Bat just found a dead one and was attacking it. Apparently they really ticked him off, he was pretty vicious, you DO NOT want to make him angry. :surprised

:devil: I'll remember this.

18. Oct 2, 2008 #17
    You'll remember that I'm the only one who had faith in you? wow, I'm touched.

19. Oct 2, 2008 #18

Evo

Aw, see now, you made me feel bad. :frown:

20. Oct 2, 2008 #19
    I've had wasps lately too. I'm pretty sure they get in through a space between the screen door and the door frame but they almost always go straight for a window. Not sure why they come in in the first place. Be careful. Check and see if maybe there is an exterminator in your area that does free inspections.

21. Oct 3, 2008 #20

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wasps like those small holes on the bricks that serve for something to do with rain , may want to check there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?