Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Battlestar Galactica

1. Mar 15, 2009 #1
    Anyone like this show? Theres gotta be some nerds here who do! I've never seen it, but I've heard it actually pretty good, so I downloaded the first season. What do y'all think?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2009 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

be sure to watch the miniseries before the first season. There are two, one from the 60's and from the last couple years, definitely go for the more recent one.

Edward James Olmos makes the show.

Space Drama ftw!

4. Mar 15, 2009 #3
    thanks, I will d/l those too... i mean *cough* purchase *cough* them from my friendly local video store....

5. Mar 15, 2009 #4
    The miniseries is really amazing and needs to be watched first.

It's a wonderful show. Be prepared to accidentally watch all of them in a two day span.

6. Mar 15, 2009 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The original is from the late 70's. It kicked ***. Galactica 1980 sucked something horrible. The new one is OK but it is a bit too emo for my taste.

7. Mar 15, 2009 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

holy **** yes, it's emo. But I'm in an ethics class right now so I got really hooked in by all the big moral decision making in the beginning and the clashes between president and commander, even with their emo monologues.

I guess emo doesn't annoy me in that context. I get annoyed by real emo kids with crappy attitudes and the hitler swoop and all that metal in their pants.

Maybe I'll give the 70's one another shot. It's hard to watch crappy FX after all this cgi.

8. Mar 15, 2009 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My wife and I are fans of the current series, but have been disappointed with it during the past year. Lots of "filler" time with little plot advancement, or so it seems to us.

The first 2 seasons were great.

9. Mar 15, 2009 #8

Pythagorean

Gold Member

agreed. Kind of. The middle of season 2 was that way too. They suddenly went of to lala land and didn't care about the Cylons anymore (when young Adama got fat after taking the Pegasus, before they founded New Caprica).

10. Mar 15, 2009 #9
    That's kind of what I like about it. It's such a dark show. I also liked SG-1, but I watched it for purely entertainment value because it was so unbelievable and no important decisions were made.

11. Mar 15, 2009 #10
    I've never been a big fan of sci-fi shows except Star Trek:TNG. I've always loved that show!

I'll check out the first season of BG, it's worth a shot, at least. Although I'm sure my roommate will be making fun of me for being a nerd lol

12. Mar 15, 2009 #11

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Guess I was thinking more the first season, then the time on and just after New Caprica. I lose track of which season things have happened.

Now, if they go and simply wipe out all the remaining humans I'll be real disappointed.

13. Mar 15, 2009 #12
    I watched the first season and part of the second along with a couple episodes from the 4th. Didn't really like it. The couple season were kind of dry and mundane and the 4th was just way over plotted.

14. Mar 15, 2009 #13

Pythagorean

Gold Member

spoiler:
    KARA THRICE, YOU ARE THE HARBINGER OF DEATH!!!!

15. Mar 16, 2009 #14

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The original series was, well, a bit Disney to say the least. The original 2 hr movie was much better and had real promise but they jumped the shark pretty quick in the series. Edward James Almos is almost as good as Adama as Lorne Green.

As an aside, the women of the original were way better looking. I was amazed that even after homeworlds were destroyed and people lived on small space ships, there was no shortage of lip gloss.

16. Mar 16, 2009 #15
    I'm about 3/4 of the way through the mini-series, and it's great!

I have a question: do you see more of the cylon(sp?) robots later on? So far they were only in the very beginning of the movie, and those things looked bad-***!

17. Mar 17, 2009 #16
    Of course.

Everything Cylon looks pretty badass.

18. Nov 3, 2010 #17
    watching the 4th season right now. i am barely getting through it. the drama is ridiculous. every scene is someone ready to kill themselves and crying their eyes out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook