1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bayes law

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    Hello,

This question relates to Bayes law. I think my problem is im not sure of the name of the thing im trying to derive...

I have 2 variables a and b.
    a = 1 or 0, b = 0...n
    I have the data to calculate;
    p(a = 1 and b) p(b)
    for any b. Hence I can find p(a=1|b) = p(a = 1 and b)/p(b)

What I want is p(a=1|b), but 'given' that a = 1. I dont want this to be affected by p(b), hence im not trying to find p(b|a=1).
    To explain further what i mean; If event a = 1, what is the prob it will happen at a certain b, independant of the frequency of occurences of different b's.

So I normalise;
    [tex]\sum_{b = 0}^n p(a=1|b).N = 1[/tex]

Where N is a constant.

[tex] N = \frac{1}{\sum_{b = 0}^n p(a=1|b) }[/tex]

[tex] p(a=1,b) = \frac{p(a=1|b)}{\sum_{b = 0}^n p(a=1|b)}[/tex]

is that alright and does it have a name???

Many thanks in advance for any advice...

Hugh

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2
    According to Bayes' Law p[a|B]p = p[a,B] = p[B|a]p[a]; in order for your formula to be Bayesian it must conform with this.

EnumaElish

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?