Calculating Posterior Prob. of an Impurity's Presence

• Thread starter _N3WTON_
  • Start date
In summary, a chemical engineer is using Bayes Theorem to determine the posterior probability of an impurity being present in a product based on the results of three experiments. The prior probabilities of the impurity being present and absent are 0.40 and 0.60 respectively. The experiment has a 0.80 probability of detecting the impurity if it is present and a 0.90 probability of not detecting it if it is absent. By using Bayes Theorem and calculating the probabilities of two detections and two non-detections, the engineer arrives at a posterior probability of 0.91 for the impurity being present.
_N3WTON_

Homework Statement

A chemical engineer is interested in determining whether a certain trace impurity is present in a product. An experiment has a probability of 0.80 of detecting the impurity if it is present. The probability of not detecting the impurity if it is absent is 0.90. The prior probabilities of the impurity being present and being absent are 0.40 and 0.60 respectively. Three separate experiments result in only two decisions. What is the posterior probability that the impurity is present?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that the event that an impurity is present and not present are disjoint and exhaustive, so Bayes Theorem does apply. I let [itex] D [/itex] denote the event that an impurity was detected in 2 of 3 tests and [itex] I [/itex] denotes the event that an impurity is present.
[itex] \mathcal P{(I|D)} = \frac{\mathcal P{(D|I)}* \mathcal P{(I)}}{\mathcal P{(D|I)}* \mathcal P{(I)} + \mathcal P{(D|I')}* \mathcal P{(I')}} [/itex]
Also, I know that the probabilities for [itex] \mathcal P{(I)} = 0.40 [/itex] and [itex] \mathcal P{(I')} = 0.60 [/itex]
However, at this point I am not sure where to go with the problem. I understand that I need to determine [itex] \mathcal P{(D|I)} [/itex] and [itex] \mathcal P{(D|I')} [/itex] but I'm not sure how to go about doing this..

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you relate the other percent values that is the 80% and 90% to them?

jedishrfu said:
Can you relate the other percent values that is the 80% and 90% to them?
Would I need to use the fact that there are [itex] \dbinom{3}{2} [/itex] ways an impurity could be detected in 2 of 3 tests in order to calculate the needed probabilities? Then I could relate the 80% and 90% somehow, yes?

_N3WTON_ said:
Three separate experiments result in only two decisions.

One question is whether the experiments are done on the same sample of product. I suppose we must assume so in order to have an interesting problem.

Another question is: what is the meaning of "two decisions"? It would be clear if the problem said "two detections". I suppose we must assume that interpretation.

Number the experiments 1,2,3. Assume an impurity is present. One way to get two detections in three experiments is a detection in experiment 1, a detection in experiment 2 and a no-detection in experiment 3. Write down the expression for that probability.

Then imagine adding up the expressions for all possible ways of getting two detections in three experiments and you'll see where combinations comes into the picture.

Stephen Tashi said:
Another question is: what is the meaning of "two decisions"? It would be clear if the problem said "two detections".
I'm really sorry about that, upon reading your comment I went back and realized that I didn't copy the problem correctly, it does indeed say "two detections". Also, I believe that we are meant to assume that the same sample is being used. Anyhow, thank you for the help.

Last edited:
So I think I have found the values I need, hopefully someone can confirm/deny:
[itex] \mathcal P{(D|I)} = \dbinom{3}{2} * (0.8)^{2} * (1-0.8)^{2} = 0.384 [/itex]
[itex] \mathcal P{(D|I')} = \dbinom{3}{2} * (1-0.9)^{2} * (0.9) = 0.027 [/itex]
So after substituting these values into the Bayes Theorem equation my final answer is [itex] \mathcal P{(I|D)} = 0.91 [/itex]

_N3WTON_ said:
So I think I have found the values I need, hopefully someone can confirm/deny:
[itex] \mathcal P{(D|I)} = \dbinom{3}{2} * (0.8)^{2} * (1-0.8)^{2} = 0.384 [/itex]
[itex] \mathcal P{(D|I')} = \dbinom{3}{2} * (1-0.9)^{2} * (0.9) = 0.027 [/itex]
So after substituting these values into the Bayes Theorem equation my final answer is [itex] \mathcal P{(I|D)} = 0.91 [/itex]

The exact answer is ##P(I|D) = 256/283 \doteq 0.9046 ##. So, yes, I guess you could be right.

Ray Vickson said:
The exact answer is ##P(I|D) = 256/283 \doteq 0.9046 ##. So, yes, I guess you could be right.
May I ask how you arrived at the exact answer?

Nvm, I think I figured it out :D

1. What is the purpose of calculating the posterior probability of an impurity's presence?

The purpose of calculating the posterior probability of an impurity's presence is to determine the likelihood of a substance or material containing impurities. This can be useful in various scientific fields, such as chemistry and environmental science, where the presence of impurities can affect the properties and safety of a substance.

2. How is the posterior probability of an impurity's presence calculated?

The posterior probability of an impurity's presence is calculated using Bayes' theorem, which takes into account the prior probability of finding an impurity, as well as the likelihood of detecting the impurity through various methods. This calculation involves using statistical methods and data analysis techniques.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the posterior probability calculation?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of the posterior probability calculation, including the quality and reliability of the data used, the assumptions made in the calculation, and any potential biases in the analysis. It is important to carefully consider these factors and their potential impact on the results.

4. Can the posterior probability of an impurity's presence be used to determine the exact amount or concentration of the impurity?

No, the posterior probability of an impurity's presence only provides information about the likelihood of the impurity being present in a substance. It cannot determine the exact amount or concentration of the impurity. This would require additional analysis and measurements.

5. How can the posterior probability of an impurity's presence be applied in practical situations?

The posterior probability of an impurity's presence can be applied in practical situations by informing decision-making processes, such as determining the safety and quality of a substance or material. It can also be used to guide further investigations and testing to confirm the presence of an impurity and its potential impact on a substance or system.