Lie Detection: Testing Truth or Falsehood?

In summary: F/L)c) probability of not lying given the detector shows positive readingi think this mean pr(F/T)d) probability of not lying given the detector shows negative readingi think this mean pr(T/Fc)In summary, the probability of a lie given the detector shows a positive reading is 0.10, the probability of a lie given the detector shows a negative reading is 0.90, the probability of not lying given the detector shows a positive reading is 0.05, and the probability of not lying given the detector shows a negative reading is 0.95.
Mrencko

Homework Statement

A crime has been committed and the police have only captured a suspect, although he obviously claims to be innocent. To give a verdict the judge authorizes the use of the lie detector. The manufacturer of the device warns the authority that the lie detector in 10% of the cases in which it has been used showed a positive reading (that is to say lie), since in fact the suspect spoke with the truth. So too, the detector in 95% of the cases, has given a positive reading when the suspects really lied.
A) tell a lie the detector shows a positive reading
B) do not tell a lie and the detector shows positive reading
C) tell a lie and the detector shows negative reading
D) do not lie and the detector shows a negative reading

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well this might be too simple or to complex i don't know, but i need to know if i am right in my responses because my career is in play.
a)95%
b)10%
c)5%
d)90%
i use the complement of probabilities to estimate the ungiven probabilities if i am wrong please help me
pr(F/T)=0.10 pr(Fc/T)=0.90
pr(F/L)=0.05 pr(Fc/L)=0.95

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that the exact problem statement in English? It has a strange phrasing.

Yes it is, in fact very weird problem

(A) to (D) are not even complete sentences, and there is no actual problem statement.

I guess your interpretation is reasonable, but it is really guesswork. With the given numbers you cannot calculate more than what you did.

Because it is a translation it is hard to be sure, but in English the questions read as though they refer to joint probabilities (lie AND positive). That would require some a priori probability of a lie, which we do not have, but if we were to have such the whole question setting would make more sense. It would lead into asking the probability of guilt given the result of the lie detector. Very Bayesian.

i can swear that the problem is like that, i think the problems are designed by the profesor, can't find it in the internet, so its very weird
just gives two data as you can see above and 4 questions i can't put the questions in this way
a) probability of lie given the detector shows positive reading i think this mean pr(L/Fc)

1. What is lie detection and how does it work?

Lie detection, also known as polygraph testing, is a method used to determine whether someone is telling the truth or lying. It involves measuring physiological responses such as heart rate, blood pressure, and respiration while the person being tested is asked a series of questions. These responses are then interpreted by a trained examiner to determine if the person is being truthful or not.

2. Are lie detectors 100% accurate?

No, lie detectors are not 100% accurate. While they can be a useful tool in investigations, they are not infallible. Factors such as a person's anxiety or physiological conditions can affect the results of a lie detector test. Additionally, a skilled liar may be able to manipulate their physiological responses to appear truthful.

3. Can someone be forced to take a lie detector test?

In most cases, a person cannot be forced to take a lie detector test. In the United States, it is considered a violation of the Fifth Amendment to force someone to incriminate themselves through a lie detector test. However, some government agencies, such as the CIA, may require their employees to take polygraph tests as part of their job.

4. How reliable is the science behind lie detection?

The science behind lie detection is constantly evolving and has been met with some skepticism. While there is evidence to support the effectiveness of certain physiological responses in detecting lies, there is also evidence that these responses can be influenced by other factors. Therefore, it is important to use lie detection as just one tool in an investigation and not rely solely on its results.

5. Are there any ethical concerns with using lie detectors?

There are some ethical concerns with using lie detectors, particularly regarding the invasion of privacy and the potential for false accusations. In some cases, the results of a lie detector test may be used to incriminate someone, even though the test is not 100% accurate. Additionally, the act of being tested can be stressful and may cause harm to a person's mental and emotional well-being. It is important for lie detector tests to be used ethically and responsibly, with proper consent and consideration for the potential consequences.