1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bayesian computation of joint density, marginal posterior

1. Dec 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, so I am having trouble understanding the steps to get to certain densities.

For example, suppose i have data y1,...,yJ ~ Binomial (njj)

We also have that θj ~ Beta (α,β)

Now our joint posterior is:

p(β,α,θ|y) ~ p(α,β) ∏ ([itex]\Gamma[/itex](α+β) / [itex]\Gamma[/itex](α)[itex]\Gamma[/itex](β)) θjα+yj-1(1-θj)β-1+nj-yj

Next, we find the posterior of θ given (α,β,y), the "joint density".

I do not understand this step.

Here is what it is suppose to be:

p(θ|α,β,y)= ∏ ([itex]\Gamma[/itex](α+β+nj) / [itex]\Gamma[/itex](α+yj)[itex]\Gamma[/itex](β+nj-yJ)) θjα+yj-1(1-θj)β-1+nj-yj

How did they get this? In my class and from sources I have read it says you can obtain this by "dropping the terms that are not dependent on θ"... but I do not see where the nj and + yj, etc. came from.

After this step we wish to find the marginal posterior of (α,β), p(α,β|y) ~ p(β,α,θ|y)/p(θ|α,β,y.

Is there another way to do this as well? I know it can also be written as p(α,β|y)~ g(α,β) ∏ f(yj|α,β).

But then, if done this way, what is f(yj|α,β).

In another example:

http://www-stat.wharton.upenn.edu/~edgeorge/Research_papers/GZpriors.pdf

On the 6th page, it says, integrating out θ1,...,θp, we get...
    How did they integrate out exactly?

I realize these are questions I should know from calculus but I just don't understand the steps to getting these results.

Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?