Bayesian inference of Poisson likelihood and exponential prior.

In summary, the assignment involves using a Poisson distribution for the number of calls and an Exponential distribution for the rate in order to estimate the average number of calls and length of calls for each switchboard. The parameter \theta represents the expected number of calls and \lambda represents the rate of the Exponential distribution, which can be estimated using the data in the table.
Inferior89
Hey I have some problems understanding my statistics homework.
I am given a data set giving the number of calls arriving to different switchboards in
three hours as well as the total phone call duration in minutes for each switch board.

Something like
Code:
i    y_i    t_i
--------------
1    4      92
2    1      15
.     .         .
.     .         .

and so on.

Now we assume the likelihood for the number of calls is a Poisson distribution

[itex]f(y | \theta) = \frac{\exp(- \theta) \theta^y }{y!} [/itex]

and an exponential prior for [itex] \theta \sim \text{Exp}(\lambda)[/itex]

The posterior is thus a [itex] \Gamma(1 + y, 1 + \lambda)[/itex] where the second parameter is the rate.
As can be seen here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjugate_prior#Discrete_likelihood_distributions

I have two questions.

* Nowhere in the assignment does it say what the parameter [itex] \theta[/itex] represents. Is it the average length of a call or maybe the waiting time between calls?

* How am I supposed to estimate [itex] \lambda [/itex] from the data in the table? The posteriors I got when using [itex] 1/\lambda = (180-t_i)/y_i[/itex]` to estimate the average waiting time for the two table values above can be seen here: http://i.imgur.com/dA9s7.png. However these distributions seem centered around the y_i values and not estimate the average waiting time.

Physics news on Phys.org
The parameter \theta represents the expected number of calls arriving at a switchboard in a given time interval. \lambda represents the rate of the Exponential distribution which is related to the average length of a call. To estimate \lambda , you would need to use the data in the table to calculate the average length of a call. For example, you could use the formula \lambda = \frac{t_i}{y_i} where t_i is the total call duration in minutes and y_i is the number of calls for each switchboard. Once you have estimated \lambda , you can then use it to calculate the posterior distribution for each switchboard.

1. What is Bayesian inference?

Bayesian inference is a statistical method for updating our beliefs about the probability of an event or hypothesis based on new evidence or data. It involves combining prior knowledge or assumptions about the event with the likelihood of the event given the data to arrive at a posterior probability.

2. What is a Poisson likelihood?

A Poisson likelihood is a statistical model that describes the probability of a given number of events occurring within a fixed time or space interval, assuming a constant rate of occurrence. It is often used for count data, such as the number of customers in a store or the number of accidents on a road.

3. What is an exponential prior?

An exponential prior is a type of probability distribution that represents our prior beliefs about the unknown parameter in a Bayesian model. It is commonly used when there is limited prior information and the parameter is expected to follow an exponential decay pattern.

4. How does Bayesian inference of Poisson likelihood and exponential prior differ from classical statistical methods?

In classical statistical methods, a fixed value is estimated for the unknown parameter based on the data. In Bayesian inference, the unknown parameter is treated as a random variable and is updated with each new piece of data. This allows for the incorporation of prior knowledge and produces a posterior probability distribution instead of a single point estimate.

5. What are some applications of Bayesian inference of Poisson likelihood and exponential prior?

This method is commonly used in areas such as epidemiology, ecology, and finance, where count data is prevalent. It can also be applied in machine learning and natural language processing for text analysis and topic modeling. Additionally, it has been used in genetics to estimate mutation rates and in marketing to predict customer behavior.