1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bayesian point estimate

1. May 9, 2014 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]Y_n[/itex] be the nth order statistic of a random sample of size n from a distribution with pdf [itex]f(x|\theta)=1/\theta[/itex] from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]\theta[/itex], zero elsewhere. Take the loss function to be [itex]L(\theta, \delta(y))=[\theta-\delta(y_n)]^2[/itex]. Let [itex]\theta[/itex] be an observed value of the random variable [itex]\Theta[/itex], which has the prior pdf [itex]h(\theta)=\frac{\beta \alpha^\beta} {\theta^{\beta + 1}}, \alpha < \theta < \infty[/itex], zero elsewhere, with [itex]\alpha > 0, \beta > 0[/itex]. Find the Bayes solution [itex]\delta(y_n)[/itex] for a point estimate of [itex]\theta[/itex].
    The attempt at a solution
    I've found that the conditional pdf of [itex]Y_n[/itex] given [itex]\theta[/itex] is:
    [tex]\frac{n y_n^{n-1}}{\theta^n}[/tex]
    which allows us to find the posterior [itex]k(\theta|y_n)[/itex] by finding what it's proportional to:
    [tex]k(\theta|y_n) \propto \frac{n y_n^{n-1}}{\theta^n}\frac{\beta \alpha^\beta}{\theta^{\beta + 1}}[/tex]
    Where I'm sketchy is that apparently we can just remove all terms not having to do with theta, come up with a fudge factor to make the distribution integrate to 1 over its support, and call it good. I end up with:
    [tex]\frac{1}{\theta^{n+\beta}}[/tex]
    When I integrate from [itex]\alpha[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex], and solve for the fudge factor, I get [itex](n+\beta)\alpha^{n+\beta}[/itex] as the scaling factor, so for my posterior I get:
    [tex](n+\beta)\alpha^{n+\beta}\frac{1}{\theta^{n+\beta}}[/tex]
    Which doesn't even have a [itex]y_n[/itex] term in it. Weird.

When I find the expected value of [itex]\theta[/itex] with this distribution, I get 1. Which isn't a very compelling point estimate. So I think I missed a [itex]y_n[/itex] somewhere but I don't know where. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not an area I'm familiar with, so can't help with your specific question, but one thing does look wrong to me: if you substitute n=0 in your answer, shouldn't you get h(θ)? The power of theta seems to be one off.

4. May 10, 2014 #3
    I wrote a whole reply here while totally missing what you were saying. Thanks for the response! I'll check it out.

5. May 10, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure how the loss-function business enters into the calculation, but you seem to be trying to compute the Bayesian posterior density of ##\theta##, given ##Y_n = y_n##. You have made an error in that. Below, I will use ##Y,y## instead of ##Y_n,y_n##, ##C,c## instead of ##\Theta, \theta## and ##a,b## instead of ##\alpha, \beta##---just to make typing easier.

Using the given prior density, the joint density of ##(y,c)## is
    [tex] f_{Y,C}(y,c) = \frac{b a^b}{c^{b+1}} \frac{n y^{n-1}}{c^n}, 0 < y < c, a < c < \infty [/tex]
    The (prior) density of ##Y## is ##f_Y(y) = \int f_{Y,C}(y,c) \, dc##, but you need to be careful about integration limits. For ##0 < y < a## we have
    [tex] f_Y(y) = \int_{c=a}^{\infty} f_{Y,C}(y,c) \, dc
    = \frac{n b y^{n-1}}{a^n (b+n)}, \; 0 < y < a [/tex] For ##y > a## we have
    [tex] f_Y(y) = \int_{c=y}^{\infty} f_{Y,C}(y,c) \, dc
    = \frac{n b a^b}{y^{b+1}(b+n)}, \: y > a [/tex] Thus, the posterior density of ##C## will depend on ##y##, since the denominator in ##f(c|y) = f_{Y,C}(y,c)/f_Y(y)## has two different forms for ##y < a## and ##y > a##.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted