Epigenetics and Nature vs. Nurture: A Scientist's Thank You

• Thread starter baywaxagain
  • Start date
baywaxagain
Hi everybody! I just wanted to say thank you to Greg, ZapperZ, Evo and so many others here because it was your disciplined approach to the sciences that have helped me inspire my sons to do well with their Maths and Physics etc..! My oldest is now an electrical engineer, pushing the envelope of solar energy and my youngest is a total math/physics/chemistry whizz! Sometimes I'm pretty sure they're not mine! In fact I think Zapper was here, as a milk man!

Any hoo! My best regards and wishes to you all in this coming year. Stay keen in 2015!

PS. Something new from the Neurosciences dept. Epigenetics proving nature/nurture are equally responsible for gene expression.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, thank you. But I think you, as the parent, were the inspiration to your sons.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
http://www.ubcmj.com/pdf/ubcmj_3_2_2012_49-50.pdf
Thank you Evo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Baywax! So good to see you again, and glad to hear your sons are little chips off the ol' block :)!

Hee hee! Lisab! What a blast from the past! I'm in the Caribbean come Feb if you all want to join me there! Canada is traditionally cold at the moment! Yag!

Thanks Greg! I may also unleash (#2) sonofbaywax on you guys! He's particularly interested in the Career Help and Homework sections!
Also, I remember the thrill of receiving a gold membership so I'm going to link you guys all over the place!

baywaxagain said:
I may also unleash (#2) sonofbaywax on you guys!
We'd love to meet him!

Fantastic dude. At the age of 7 getting his yellow belt, Karate. I recommend this discipline for anyone's children. Adds peace of mind!

Attachments

• spencbelt.jpg
    spencbelt.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 244
Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is epigenetics?

Epigenetics is the study of changes in gene expression that are not caused by changes in the DNA sequence. These changes can be influenced by environmental factors and can affect how genes are turned on or off, ultimately impacting an organism's traits and characteristics.

2. How does epigenetics relate to the nature vs. nurture debate?

Epigenetics plays a role in the nature vs. nurture debate by showing that both genetics and environmental factors can influence an organism's traits and behaviors. While genetics provide the blueprint for an organism, epigenetic changes can occur in response to environmental factors and can influence how genes are expressed.

3. Can epigenetics be inherited?

Yes, epigenetic changes can be inherited from one generation to the next. This is known as transgenerational epigenetic inheritance and has been observed in various species. However, the extent to which these changes are inherited and their long-term effects are still being studied.

4. How does the environment influence epigenetics?

The environment can influence epigenetics in a variety of ways. Exposure to certain chemicals, stress, diet, and lifestyle choices can all impact epigenetic changes. These changes can occur at any point in an organism's life and can have lasting effects on gene expression and health.

5. What are the potential implications of epigenetics for society?

Epigenetics has the potential to greatly impact our understanding of human health and disease. It may also have implications for fields such as psychology, sociology, and criminology as it provides insight into how environmental factors can influence behavior and traits. Additionally, the study of epigenetics may lead to new treatments and interventions for various health conditions.

Back