BBC defends Gaza appeal decision

• News
  • Thread starter mjsd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decision
In summary, the BBC has defended a decision not to air a TV fund-raising appeal for Gaza, saying it wanted to avoid compromising public confidence in its impartiality. There are also doubts about "the delivery of aid in a volatile situation".
mjsd
Homework Helper

The BBC has defended a decision not to air a TV fund-raising appeal for Gaza, saying it wanted to avoid compromising public confidence in its impartiality.

It said a decision was taken with other broadcasters not to show the Disasters Emergency Committee crisis appeal on any network in the UK.

A corporation statement added there were also doubts about "the delivery of aid in a volatile situation".

SOURCE: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7846150.stm

Rising money for Gaza humanitarian effort can be seen as a political move? Is the appeal itself fundamentally flawed? Does the BBC simply not want to touch the dangerous third rail of middle eastern politics and become a propaganda machine for either side?

What defines neutrality in this arena, I wonder? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Dead babies are a somewhat one sided message. It wasn't going to show it (neither was Sky) but other channels were going to.
The govenrment said it was totally upto the BBC (which if you're married you will recognise as the 'well you can wear that shirt if you you really want to' answer)

Now somebody has presumably had a quiet word with all the other broadcasters - so the Beeb is off the hook. 20 years ago it was happy to host quite a large appeal to buy the Ethiopian Army a bunch of trucks to defend against an Eritrean seperatist movement, but times change.

Last edited:
If they are paying for the ad time. Let em run it.
If they are expecting it to be free. Then the broadcasters can choose.

Alfi said:
If they are paying for the ad time. Let em run it.

The BBC doesn't have "ad time"; that is, there is no advertising on the BBC.This advert was all over the BBC news last night, anyway, which is arguably better publicity than a normal time slot!

my error Cristo.
I forgot the differences in how broadcast systems work. I have looked into it and learned a bunch. TV tax eh. weird. :D
I'm Canadian. I thank you for some (imo much better than ours ) funny stuff and Dr.Who programming.

What is the controversy surrounding BBC's decision to not air the Gaza appeal?

The controversy surrounding BBC's decision to not air the Gaza appeal stems from concerns that the network is biased towards the Israeli government and is not providing equal coverage to the crisis in Gaza.

Why did the BBC decide not to air the Gaza appeal?

The BBC decided not to air the Gaza appeal because they felt that airing the appeal could compromise their impartiality and damage their reputation for providing objective news coverage.

How did the public react to BBC's decision?

The public reaction to BBC's decision was mixed. Many people expressed disappointment and anger, accusing the network of being biased and not fulfilling their duty to inform the public. Others supported BBC's decision, stating that it was the right choice to maintain their impartiality.

What is BBC's response to the backlash?

BBC's response to the backlash has been to defend their decision, stating that they have a duty to remain impartial and that airing the Gaza appeal could compromise this. They also maintain that they have provided extensive coverage of the crisis in Gaza through their news programs.

Will BBC change their decision and air the Gaza appeal?

At this time, it does not seem likely that BBC will change their decision and air the Gaza appeal. The network has stated that they will continue to review their decision, but for now, they stand by their stance of not airing the appeal.