BC Calculus Help: Limits, Optimization, and Evaluating Series

• Thread starter Phoenix314
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the first problem can be solved by trying a=1, the second problem can be solved using the law of cosines to find the optimal distance from the wall, and the third problem can be solved by breaking it into a series of fractions and showing that each term goes to zero in the limit of infinite n.
Phoenix314
Sorry I'm not very good at using latex, but here's my shot.

1. Let f(x) = sqrt (1+2x) - 1 - sqrt (x). Find some a where a is positive, such that lim of [tex]\frac{f(x)}{x^a}[/tex] as x approaches 0 from the right is finite and non zero.

I know the problem requires the use of L'Hopital's rule, but I seem to be making circles. When I differentiate, I keep getting indeterminite forms and can't get the limit to be finite

2. A picture 1.4 meters high stands on a wall so that its lower edge is 1.8 meters above the eye of an observer. What is the most favorable distance from the wall for this observer too stand - that is, to maximize his or her angle of vision.

I started by doing tan(theta) = [tex]\frac{1.4+1.8}{x}[/tex] where x is the distance from the wall. To maximize the angle, I took the arctan of each side and differentiated, looking for when it will equal 0, but the derivative is never 0.

3. Evaluate for any fixed number k>0:

lim [tex]\frac{(1^k + 2^k + ... n^k)}{n^(k+1)}[/tex] as n approaches infinity
[Edit: The denominator should be n raised to the quantity of (k+1)]

The numerator looks like a Riemann sum, but I have no idea how to begin solving it.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For number 1, there is an obvious choice of a to try that might work even without L'Hospital's rule.

For number 2, I think you need to try law of cosines applied to the triangle from the eye to the bottom and top edges of the picture.

For number 3, look at it term by term. The largest term in the numerator is the last one. What do you get when you divide it by the denominator? What about all the terms in front of that one.

Hint: Write the denominator as

[tex] nn^k [/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks OlderDan, I solved the first two problems, but I'm still having trouble with the third. If I separate the numbers into a series of fractions, like

1^k over n^k+1 plus 2^k over n^(k+1) plus 3^k over n^(k+1) and end with n^k over n^(k+1), would that give me the answer (which would be 0?)

Thanks

Phoenix314 said:
Thanks OlderDan, I solved the first two problems, but I'm still having trouble with the third. If I separate the numbers into a series of fractions, like

1^k over n^k+1 plus 2^k over n^(k+1) plus 3^k over n^(k+1) and end with n^k over n^(k+1), would that give me the answer (which would be 0?)

Thanks

Looks like you about have it. Every term can be written as (1/n) times a factor of 1 or less, so each goes to zero in the limit of infinite n. With an infinite nubmer of terms in the series, you should do a bit more to prove that the sum of all these terms is zero. You could do that by factoring out 1/n from every term and proving that the infinite series that remains still converges by one of the standard tests for convergence, or by applying such tests to the series as it stands.

Thanks OlderDan, I think I have all three of the problems solved now.

1. What is the difference between BC Calculus and AB Calculus?

BC Calculus is an advanced level of Calculus that covers more topics than AB Calculus. BC Calculus covers everything in AB Calculus, as well as additional topics such as Taylor and Maclaurin series, parametric and polar equations, and advanced integration techniques.

2. How can I prepare for the AP BC Calculus exam?

To prepare for the AP BC Calculus exam, you should practice solving a variety of problems, review key concepts and formulas, and take practice exams. It is also helpful to seek additional resources such as review books and online tutorials.

3. What are the main topics covered in BC Calculus?

The main topics covered in BC Calculus include limits, derivatives, integrals, applications of derivatives and integrals, differential equations, and infinite series. These topics are covered in more depth and complexity compared to AB Calculus.

4. How much time should I dedicate to studying for BC Calculus?

The amount of time needed to study for BC Calculus can vary for each individual. However, it is recommended to dedicate at least 5-6 hours per week for reviewing and practicing the material. Closer to the exam, it is recommended to increase the study time to ensure thorough preparation.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in BC Calculus?

Some common mistakes to avoid in BC Calculus include not fully understanding the fundamental concepts, not showing enough work in problem solving, and not practicing enough with different types of problems. It is also important to avoid rushing through problems and not double-checking answers for accuracy.