BCS energy and Cooper pair probability amplitude

In summary, in this conversation, the speaker is asking for help with a problem in chapter 15 of R.D. Mattuck's book on superconductivity. They note a typo in part (a) and describe their attempt at solving the problem, which does not lead to the desired result. They then ask for clarification on their approach and receive a response pointing out the correct formula for $\delta E$ and explaining the dependence of $u_k$ on $v_k$.
jk7297
TL;DR Summary
Trying to solve problem 15.9 in R.D. Mattuck's book "A Guide to Feynman Diagrams in the Many-Body Problem."
This question is for those familiar with the BCS theory of superconductivity or familiar with R.D. Mattuck's book “A Guide to Feynman Diagrams in the Many-Body Problem.” I am working my way through the book, and I am stumped by some of the problems at the end of chapter 15 (superconductivity).

In Problem 15.9(b) the reader is asked to carry out the variation of the energy as expressed in part (a) of the problem. (I note that there is a typo in the book in part (a) in that the upper case V’s should be lower case.) $$ E = 2 \sum_k \epsilon_k v_k^2 - \sum_{k \neq k'} V_{kk'} u_k u_{k'} v_k v_{k'} .$$ When I attempt the variation I get the following expression:

$$ \delta E = \sum_k \left[ 4 \epsilon_k v_k -\Delta_k \left( u_k - \frac {v_k^2} {u_k} \right) \right] \delta v_k ,$$

where ## \Delta_k ## is defined by Mattuck's equation (15.31'). The quantity ##v_k## is the probability amplitude that the particular pair state is occupied. (I note that there seems to be an unstated assumption that ##v_k## and ##u_k## are real.) I then set the expression in square brackets to zero and solve a quadratic equation for the ratio $$\frac {v_k} {u_k} .$$ But this does not lead to the desired result, namely Mattuck's equations (15.30) and (15.31).
I note that if the factor of 4 in the bracketed expression is changed to a 2, I do get the right result. But the factor of 4 arises from the factor of 2 in the first term of the energy and from another factor of 2 from the variation of ##v_k^2##: $$\delta \left(v_k^2 \right) = 2 v_k \,\delta v_k .$$
What error am I making? Am I approaching the problem incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help will be appreciated.It looks like you are using the wrong formula for $\delta E$. The correct formula is$$ \delta E = 2 \sum_k \epsilon_k \delta v_k^2 - \sum_{k \neq k'} V_{kk'} \left( u_k \delta v_k v_{k'} + v_k \delta u_k v_{k'} + v_k u_{k'} \delta v_{k'} \right) .$$From this, you can see that the factor of 4 comes from the two terms with $\delta v_k^2$ and $v_k \delta v_{k'}$. You should also note that the expression for $\delta E$ is a bit more complicated than the original expression for $E$ because of the dependence of $u_k$ on $v_k$.

1. What is BCS energy and how does it relate to superconductivity?

BCS energy is the energy required to break a Cooper pair in a superconductor. It is a measure of the strength of the pairing between electrons that allows for the phenomenon of superconductivity. As BCS energy decreases, the superconducting transition temperature increases.

2. How is the Cooper pair probability amplitude related to the BCS theory?

The Cooper pair probability amplitude is a key concept in the BCS theory of superconductivity. It describes the probability of finding a pair of electrons in a superconductor with opposite spin and momentum. The BCS theory explains how this probability amplitude leads to the formation of a macroscopic quantum state in which electrons can flow without resistance.

3. What factors affect the BCS energy and Cooper pair probability amplitude?

The BCS energy and Cooper pair probability amplitude are affected by several factors, including the strength of the electron-electron interaction, the density of states in the material, and the temperature. In general, a stronger electron-electron interaction and a higher density of states lead to a lower BCS energy and a higher Cooper pair probability amplitude.

4. Can the BCS energy and Cooper pair probability amplitude be measured experimentally?

Yes, the BCS energy and Cooper pair probability amplitude can be indirectly measured through various techniques, such as tunneling spectroscopy and specific heat measurements. These measurements provide information about the electronic properties of superconductors and can be used to validate the predictions of the BCS theory.

5. How does the BCS theory explain the zero resistance behavior of superconductors?

The BCS theory explains the zero resistance behavior of superconductors by describing the formation of a macroscopic quantum state in which electrons are paired and can move without resistance. This state is maintained by the BCS energy and Cooper pair probability amplitude, which prevent the scattering of electrons that would normally lead to resistance in non-superconducting materials.