1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BE Engineering to MS physics

1. Dec 8, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    I am a Btech ( BE equivalent) Mech engineering student from india. Since high school, I have loved physics as a subject and wanted to pursue a career in theoretical physics. But then due to financial and job security reasons and advice from my parents, I chose Mech engg as my bachelors ( This is by default the go-to field in India).
    However after spending just the 1st 2 yrs, I found the engg field to be extremely boring, and even got depressed and sick due to discontent. I am currently in my 8th and final semester.
    I am now desperately hoping to switch to a career in physics, hopefully applying for MS in Physics. However I have heard that a career in physics is extremely challenging, even more so without a BS physics degree.
    Has anyone else been in my same situation and successfully acquired a satisfactory position? Is switching to a different field at this point completely out of the question?
    Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2013 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I went from B Elec Engg to PHD physics, but EE has more physics and math than ME.
    If your math and physics grades are very good, and you do well enough on the GRE, you could get into a reasonable physics grad school. You might have to (and probably should) take some UG physics your first year.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook