Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Be My Teacher!

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    Dear All,

I would like to know the techonology of making Polyurethane Sandals. Anyone can enlighten me?

Thanks in advance,

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2008 #2

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Navana.
    As far as I know, polyurethane products are generally made by injection moulding. There's a really hefty 'tooling up' expense. I expect that your minimum initial investment would be in excess of $50,000.
  4. Jan 29, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, chances are they're injection moulded. This isn't so much a feature of the material (there are many processes you could use to form other PU products, for instance) but of the form and function of the product, and of the production volumes required.

Items such as sandals will typically sell in large enough volumes to permit the hard tooling required for injection moulding equipment.
  5. Feb 8, 2008 #4
    Thanks you for your thoughtful gesture of giving me this information. Do you have any idea about detailed manufacturing process of PU sandals?
  6. Feb 8, 2008 #5
    Thanks indeed for your invaluable reply and could you please figure out the major raw materials comsumed in making PU sandals?
  7. Feb 8, 2008 #6

Gold Member

8. Feb 8, 2008 #7
    you have my greatest gratitude, dude! thanks for the info! Well, let me search it out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?