Making Polyurethane Sandals - Technology Needed

• Thread starter Navana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Technology
In summary, polyurethane products are typically made by injection moulding, which is a process that has a hefty tooling up cost.
Navana
Dear All,

I would like to know the techonology of making Polyurethane Sandals. Anyone can enlighten me?

Thanks in advance,

Navana

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Navana.
As far as I know, polyurethane products are generally made by injection moulding. There's a really hefty 'tooling up' expense. I expect that your minimum initial investment would be in excess of $50,000.

Yep, chances are they're injection moulded. This isn't so much a feature of the material (there are many processes you could use to form other PU products, for instance) but of the form and function of the product, and of the production volumes required.

Items such as sandals will typically sell in large enough volumes to permit the hard tooling required for injection moulding equipment.

Danger said:
Welcome to PF, Navana.
As far as I know, polyurethane products are generally made by injection moulding. There's a really hefty 'tooling up' expense. I expect that your minimum initial investment would be in excess of $50,000.

Thanks you for your thoughtful gesture of giving me this information. Do you have any idea about detailed manufacturing process of PU sandals?

brewnog said:
Yep, chances are they're injection moulded. This isn't so much a feature of the material (there are many processes you could use to form other PU products, for instance) but of the form and function of the product, and of the production volumes required.

Items such as sandals will typically sell in large enough volumes to permit the hard tooling required for injection moulding equipment.

Thanks indeed for your invaluable reply and could you please figure out the major raw materials comsumed in making PU sandals?

I don't really know very much about it, and public information is a bit scarce. As much as I don't like to trust Wiki too much, their article might be of the most assistance to you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injection_molding.
There's also this one, http://plastics.turkavkaz.ru/processes/molding/injection-molding/" [Broken], which has a bit of info.

Last edited by a moderator:
you have my greatest gratitude, dude! thanks for the info! Well, let me search it out!

Cheers!

What is polyurethane?

Polyurethane is a type of polymer that is commonly used in the production of various materials, including sandals. It is a versatile material that can be made into soft foams or hard plastics, making it suitable for a variety of applications.

What are the benefits of using polyurethane for sandals?

Polyurethane sandals are known for their durability and flexibility. They are resistant to abrasion, chemicals, and wear and tear, making them long-lasting. Additionally, polyurethane is a lightweight material, making the sandals comfortable to wear.

What technology is needed for making polyurethane sandals?

The process of making polyurethane sandals involves several technologies, including mixing and molding equipment. The materials used, such as polyurethane resin, also require specialized machinery for heating and shaping. Additionally, quality control and testing equipment are needed to ensure the final product meets the desired standards.

Are there any environmental concerns with using polyurethane for sandals?

Polyurethane is a synthetic material, and its production can have some environmental impacts. However, most manufacturers now use eco-friendly processes and materials to minimize these effects. Additionally, polyurethane sandals have a long lifespan, reducing the need for frequent replacements and ultimately reducing waste.

Can polyurethane sandals be recycled?

Yes, polyurethane can be recycled. However, the process can be challenging as it requires specialized equipment and facilities. Some manufacturers have implemented recycling programs for their products, but it is still not as common as other materials like plastic or rubber.