Valentine's Day: What Do PF-ers Think?

• Thread starter humanino
  • Start date
In summary, the participant thinks that Valentine's day is a commercial holiday that encourages gifts of chocolate. They do not care for it, but they enjoy it if it is a good night for singles to party.

What is Valentine's day to you ?

• I have no idea what that is ! (extraterrestrials please to vote here)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I happily celebrate Valentine's day

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • It is a good occasion (or pretext) to be just the two of us, regardless of a present or not

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • I don't want to hear about this commercial trap !

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Although I think it originates from commercial strategies, I don't care and celebrate anyway

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I am single and hate the OP of this poll

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Valentine's day is the best day for single people to party

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters
humanino
Dear PF-ers,

I am quite concerned about this : how do you consider Valentine's day ?
You never heard about it ? :confused: (where do you live )
Is this important to you ? :approve:
Do you consider it as comercial harassment ? :mad:
Is it just an occasion, or a good pretext, to celebrate your couple together ? o:)
Do you go out on that occasion to find a new Valetine ? :tongue2:

Thank you for your participation ! :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am single, but I don't hate you. :tongue: I ussually happily celebrate it but this year it is going to have to be a good night for singles to party for me. :smile:

I voted that I'm single and hate you. :biggrin: But I don't really. Just none of the other options fit well either. Mostly it's just another night like every other, but if I do have a romantic interest when the holiday comes around, it's fun to celebrate, even if it is a totally commercial holiday. How could I not appreciate a holiday that encourages gifts of chocolate? :biggrin: Seriously, it's not about the gifts for me, but just a good excuse to snuggle up with someone you love.

We can be single and hate humano together. :biggrin:

To me for my first 16 years it was a night like any other. When I first started dating I was compelled to make an effort but I don't go over the top. Usually a single rose and a card with a terrible poem I'd tried to write. Its funny because I've actually come back from a clandestine card posting here in the UK at 1 am. I'm quite hyped from the adrenaline of sneaking down somebodies garden in the dead of night :biggrin:

russ_watters said:

:rofl:
I have not been very careful while I took the choices. OK, so let's consider that it shall be "you are single and/or hate me, you can vote" :biggrin:

As for if you don't care at all, you can pick "I have no idea what that is ! (extraterrestrials please to vote here)"

Rememebr anything no matter how small makes her feel special.

I got away with a book and 5 plants for her planter, she won't buy a card and won't let me buy her one either. I made out in the deal, got a balloon and a six-pack of Guiness.

russ_watters said:

Woo hoo! :rofl:

It's really not fair. One of the professional societies of which I've been a member since being a grad student always used to have an abstract postmark deadline of Feb 14, which in those days, meant we were spending that night rushing to the regional post-office to get our submission postmarked before midnight, so I could never plan a Valentine's date. A few years ago, I commented on this deadline to one of the society's officers (it's the Society for the Study of Reproduction, so I suggested it was a rather anti-reproductive deadline), and ever since then, the deadline has been Feb 15. I don't have anything to submit this year anyway, but ever since they changed the deadline, and I've actually had the evening free on Valentine's Day, I haven't had any prospects for dates for the night. :grumpy:

I was going to bake heart-shaped cookies for the lab since I was home today, but I didn't feel like being accused of being "Martha Stewart-ish" again. :rolleyes:

This year I was particularly soppy. I was considering entering this in the PF valentines photo contest but the picture is terrible. Anyway I was inspired by Zoobyshoe's art work thread and took this picture to get the opinion of my artist friend. Anyway I'm hoping along with the poem I wrote it will have quite the romantic impact.

http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/7840/valentinescardnw7.th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr Transport said:
Rememebr anything no matter how small makes her feel special.
One hopes. :rofl:

I got away with a book and 5 plants for her planter, she won't buy a card and won't let me buy her one either. I made out in the deal, got a balloon and a six-pack of Guiness.
Well, one could hand make a card - or download some graphics. :biggrin:

Six pack of Guinness is good. :tongue2:

Doing something special reminds me of last year when I took my wife a card, a nice bouquet of flowers, and some gifts and dropped them off where she worked, as a surprise, on her birthday. I pretended in morning that there was nothing too special going on. Well - she was surprised and apparently so were her female colleagues.

That evening she told me how much she enjoyed it - and about the comments that got from her lady friends - something to the effect "well, I guess you'll have to show your gratitude tonight," which I had not even thought about. o:)

russ_watters said:
We can be single and hate humanino together. :biggrin:
I'm in. :biggrin:

NO ONE ever sends me Valentine's day cards or gifts except zooby did last year out of pity and that was the best valentines day of my life. :cry: The hippos were beautiful! I will go to my grave with that memory, it was so special to me. Thank you zooby. :cry: :smile: :!) <sniff>

I got ZERO from humanino, btw :grumpy:

I had to go with I'm single and hate the OP...but I really don't hate the OP of course haha.

humanino said:
Do you consider it as comercial harassment ? :mad:

In a way, yes. And to add -

humanino said:
Is it just an occasion, or a good pretext, to celebrate your couple together ? o:)

- unfortunately, it is just another of these days when we should be nice, instead of being nice every single day of the year. Things should be the other way round. Valentine's day should be every day in the year except one - and that one day we should actually be rude to each other and let volcanoes burst and then cool off again. :biggrin:

I am all for Valentine's Day, as long as Steak and BJ day is celebrated as well.

Kurdt said:
This year I was particularly soppy. I was considering entering this in the PF valentines photo contest but the picture is terrible. Anyway I was inspired by Zoobyshoe's art work thread and took this picture to get the opinion of my artist friend. Anyway I'm hoping along with the poem I wrote it will have quite the romantic impact.

http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/7840/valentinescardnw7.th.jpg
Kurdt, that's great. Now work on shading, that's what gives it depth and that "photograph" look, but with feeling. You've captured "feeling". What a pretty girl. :approve:

Evo said:
Kurdt, that's great. Now work on shading, that's what gives it depth and that "photograph" look, but with feeling. You've captured "feeling". What a pretty girl. :approve:

My shadings not too clever but I haven't really drawn anything in about 5 years. Like I said it was Zooby who inspired me with his thread of art and I'm sure I could never reach that level. Anyway I did alter it a bit but kept from shading the face as I didn't want to ruin what was a good capture of her likeness.

P.S. How come you haven't received more valentines Evo? Its a crime if ever I've seen one.

Kurdt, I really like your drawing! I didn't know you were so artistic!

Math Is Hard said:
Kurdt, I really like your drawing! I didn't know you were so artistic!

:blushing: Thank you! Autistic more like. As I said above I don't really do any art but my father is really quite good while my mother was more scientific and I followed my mothers lead.

Happy Single's Awareness Day, everyone. :rofl:

theCandyman said:
Happy Single's Awareness Day, everyone. :rofl:

:rofl: I like that one!

Evo and Moonbear,

If only we knew, you're emails would be full of sappy Valentine's Day cards.

To our fave mentors Evo and Moonbear...

To PF women:

RalphWiggum-ValentineIChooChooChoos.jpg

Love,

http://www.virob.com/thumbnails/ralphwiggum.jpg

Cyrus :!) :!)

cyrusabdollahi said:
RalphWiggum-ValentineIChooChooChoos.jpg

Love,

http://www.virob.com/thumbnails/ralphwiggum.jpg

Cyrus :!) :!)

Awwww :blushing:

Awww...thanks Cyrus! That's so cute. Now I wish I had gotten a box of those sappy cards to give out to the folks at work. That would've been fun. :biggrin: The med students were dissecting the heart last week, and commented that we should have scheduled that lab for this week. :rofl:

Cyrus is the best!:approve:

Here's a biiig http://www.serendipitychocolates.com/images/lovesdivine3.jpg" to all the PF gals, no matter if you're lonely today or not! :approve:

TO: The PF Ladies

MXXOO-----MXXOO
MXXXXXOO---MXXXXXOO
MXXXXXXXXOO-MXXXXXXXXOO
MXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOO
MXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXO
MXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
MXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
MXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
MXXXXXXXXXXXX
MXXXXXXXX
MXXXX
MXX
M

Wishing each and everyone a Happy Valentine's Day! :smile:

For those single, I hope each finds that special someone.

For more inspiration see - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=109984

Evo said:
I'm in. :biggrin:
That is still a feeling at least :shy:
I got ZERO from humanino, btw :grumpy:
I can make one o:)
but I did not get anything either, did I ? :uhh:

Valentine's day is just another insincere occasion to "prove" your love to someone else - as if paying for dinners/ movies/ dates and Christmas & birthday presents isn't enough we have to have a whole day devoted to proving our love to the "sweetheart" in our life. Yes, Man/Woman made this holiday what it is, so they could either be ecstatic or suffer and eat chocolate, kind of ironic huh?

If it was up to love there would be no Valentine's day. All it does is remind people like me that there's love out there, which isn't actually too comforting when you're alone. Knowing that there's love out there and you don't have any makes you feel like there's something wrong with you - as anyone who has ever heard the "you'll find the right guy/girl someday" speech knows all too well.

And all this is for a holiday celebrating a Guy who got fed to lions hundreds of years ago - seems appropriate doesn't it?

~Reshma

My verdict: It's all commercial but I don't care anyway..

Valentine's day is just another Wednesday for me, and I don't hate the OP.

What I do find interesting about V-day is that it is a day FOR WOMEN. I mean, just look at this thread. I noticed atleast 2 MALE members (Cyrus and Astro) of this forum have given out greeting cards/compliments aimed at the women. BUT, have the ladies given any cards back? NOOOOO (typical!). OK, I'm not really mad at you ladies :-) I just wish there was a day for guys is all. We could call it cheerleader's day :)

Anyway, happy valentine's day ladies :!)

Happy comerical-exploit-to-use-and-abuse-your-money-as-a-result-of-fooling-
people-in-love-to-go-out-and-buy-stuff-they-do-not-really-
need-for-people-who-will-love-them-anyways-or-even-frown-
upon-their-lack-of-though-day.

Yes, I'm bitter. Does it show? :tongue2:

Newbie says Hi said:
What I do find interesting about V-day is that it is a day FOR WOMEN. I mean, just look at this thread. I noticed atleast 2 MALE members (Cyrus and Astro) of this forum have given out greeting cards/compliments aimed at the women. BUT, have the ladies given any cards back? NOOOOO (typical!). OK, I'm not really mad at you ladies :-) I just wish there was a day for guys is all.

You must've missed mattmns post, I think it was on the first page. :biggrin:

Anyway, for all the guys:
FSM-valentines-card-01.gif

And for the band of nerd pirates:
valentines-day-card-02.jpg

:biggrin:

Newbie says Hi said:
What I do find interesting about V-day is that it is a day FOR WOMEN. I mean, just look at this thread. I noticed atleast 2 MALE members (Cyrus and Astro) of this forum have given out greeting cards/compliments aimed at the women. BUT, have the ladies given any cards back? NOOOOO (typical!).
Perhaps the women are more discrete and discriminating. :biggrin:

I am just shamefully unabashed and brazen. :biggrin:

I really do think the PF women are very cool :cool:, and I very much appreciate their insights and contributions. :smile:

Thanks for the greeting card Moonbie! :approve:

Moonbear said:
You must've missed mattmns post, I think it was on the first page. :biggrin:

His response was in such an ummm succinct formulation that I never noticed it. If there was ever a post in physicsforum that was straight to the point... THAT was IT! LOL. Not that I disagree, I LOVEEE steak o:)

Oh, and how do you get those greeting cards to show up? Does one need to become a paid contributor to gain such powers? In any case:

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY LADIES!:biggrin:

Astronuc said:
Perhaps the women are more discrete and discriminating. :biggrin:

I am just shamefully unabashed and brazen. :biggrin:

I really do think the PF women are very cool :cool:, and I very much appreciate their insights and contributions. :smile:

Agreed. I'm a tad surprised at how many PF women are single and lonely(?) tonight. :frown: