1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BE particle density

1. Feb 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the observation of quantum mechanical Bose-Einstein condensation, the interparticle
    distance in a gas of noninteracting atoms must be comparable to the de Broglie
    wavelength, or less. How high a particle density is needed to achieve these conditions
    if the atoms have mass number A = 100 and are at a temperature of 100 nanokelvin?

2. Relevant equations
    I found on the web that at the critical temp. for BEC, ##\lambda = \sqrt{ \frac{2\pi \hbar^2}{m k_b T}} ##

I also found a formula for the critical density for BEC at that temp., ##n_c \approx 2.612 \frac{1}{\lambda_{T_c}^3}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I took m = particle mass ## \approx 100 \times m_p = 1.67 \times 10^{-25} kg##
    Mechanically plugging the numbers in I got ##\lambda_{T_c} = 3.46 \times 10^{-6} m ##, and ## n_c = 6.3 \times 10^{16} ## particles per ## m^3##

I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if I am on the right track? The numbers seem OK although I think the ##\lambda## looks high?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The approach is correct. I haven't checked the numbers, but they seem reasonable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted