Particle Density Needed for BEC @ 100 nK, A=100

In summary, for the observation of quantum mechanical Bose-Einstein condensation, the interparticle distance in a gas of noninteracting atoms must be comparable to the de Broglie wavelength, or less. To achieve these conditions at a temperature of 100 nanokelvin, a particle density of approximately 6.3x10^16 particles per cubic meter is needed for atoms with a mass number of 100. This can be calculated using the formula for the critical density for BEC at the given temperature and the de Broglie wavelength.
ognik

Homework Statement

For the observation of quantum mechanical Bose-Einstein condensation, the interparticle
distance in a gas of noninteracting atoms must be comparable to the de Broglie
wavelength, or less. How high a particle density is needed to achieve these conditions
if the atoms have mass number A = 100 and are at a temperature of 100 nanokelvin?

Homework Equations

I found on the web that at the critical temp. for BEC, ##\lambda = \sqrt{ \frac{2\pi \hbar^2}{m k_b T}} ##

I also found a formula for the critical density for BEC at that temp., ##n_c \approx 2.612 \frac{1}{\lambda_{T_c}^3}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I took m = particle mass ## \approx 100 \times m_p = 1.67 \times 10^{-25} kg##
Mechanically plugging the numbers in I got ##\lambda_{T_c} = 3.46 \times 10^{-6} m ##, and ## n_c = 6.3 \times 10^{16} ## particles per ## m^3##

I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if I am on the right track? The numbers seem OK although I think the ##\lambda## looks high?

Physics news on Phys.org
The approach is correct. I haven't checked the numbers, but they seem reasonable.

Likes ognik

What is BEC?

BEC stands for Bose-Einstein condensate, which is a state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures where a large number of particles behave as a single entity.

What is the significance of 100 nK in BEC?

100 nK refers to the temperature at which the BEC occurs. This is an extremely low temperature that is close to absolute zero, which allows for the particles to lose their individual identities and behave as a single entity.

What is the relationship between particle density and BEC?

The particle density is a crucial factor for the formation of BEC. At low temperatures, the particles become more densely packed, and when the density reaches a critical point, the particles start to behave as a single entity, leading to the formation of BEC.

What does A=100 represent in relation to BEC?

A=100 represents the scattering length, which is a measure of the strength of interactions between particles in a BEC. A higher value of A indicates stronger interactions, which can affect the behavior and properties of the BEC.

How is the particle density needed for BEC @ 100 nK, A=100 determined?

The particle density needed for BEC @ 100 nK, A=100 is determined by various factors such as the temperature, scattering length, and number of particles. It can be calculated using mathematical models and experiments to achieve the optimal conditions for BEC formation.