1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bead on a wire, potential energy

1. Oct 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle is constrained to move without friction on a circular wire rotating with constant speed ω about a vertical diameter. Find the equilibrium position of the particle, and calculate the frequency of small oscillations around this position. Find and interpret physically a critical angular velocity, ω = ωc, that divides the particle’s motion into two distinct types.

2. Relevant equations
    U=-∫Fdr

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set it up in spherical coordinates. The wire is [itex]\rho^2+z^2=R^2[/itex] and it is being rotated about the z axis (rho lies in x-y plane). I set [itex]\theta[/itex] to be the angle measured around the circle counterclockwise from the rho axis. The forces acting on the particle are gravity (mg) and centripetal force ([itex]-m\rho\omega^2[/itex]). The potential due to gravity is then mgy and the potential due to centripetal force is:

[itex]\int_{0}^{\rho}m\rho\omega^2 d\rho=\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2\rho^2=\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2R^2cos^2(\theta)[/itex]
    Gravitational potential becomes mgy=mgRsin(θ). Now my total potential energy is:
    [itex]U=mgRsin(\theta)+\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2R^2cos^2(\theta)[/itex]

I differentiate with respect to θ and set equal to zero:
    [itex]U_\theta=mgRcos(\theta)-m\omega^2R^2cos(\theta)sin(\theta)=0[/itex]
    [itex]gcos(\theta)=\omega^2Rcos(\theta)sin(\theta)[/itex]
    [itex]sin(\theta)=\frac{g}{R\omega^2}[/itex]
    [itex]\theta=arcsin(\frac{g}{R\omega^2})[/itex]

I'm concerned about this answer. As ω→0, θ diverges. I should get θ → -π/2

Where did I screw this up? Thank you.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted