Particle Motion on Rotating Rod: Derivation and Special Cases

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle of mass m sliding on a rotating rod with constant angular velocity w. The solution to the problem involves finding a constant γ and arbitrary constants A and B, and it is shown that for a specific choice of initial conditions, the position of the particle can decrease continuously in time. The conversation also considers the possibility of choosing A in order to obtain a solution where r decreases continuously in time.
cacofolius

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is free to slide on a thin rod. The rod rotates in a plane about one end at a constant angular velocity w. Show that the motion is given by r=Ae^(-γt)+Be^(γt), where γ is a constant which you must find and A and B are arbitrary constants. Neglect gravity.
Show that for a particular choice of initial conditions (that is, r(t=0), and v(t=0) ), it is possible to obtain a solution such that r decreases continually in time, but that for any other choice r will eventually increase. (Exclude cases where the bead hits the origin).

Homework Equations

a=(r''-rw^2)êr + (rθ''+2r'we) êθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, for the first part I took twice the derivative of r, and plugged in the radial part of the acceleration (being θ'' and the coriolis force equal to zero, in the stationary frame of reference).
So I only got r''=rw^2, from which I deduced that γ must be w.

From the initial conditions, where t=0, I get

r(0)=A+B=r0
r'(0)=w(B-A)=0 (since I assume it starts with no initial speed), so A=B

From these I get that A=B=r0/2, so the complete solution for the position is

r=(r0/2) [e^(-wt)+e^(wt)]

Now, to show that there is a solution where r decreases in time, I figured there should be an initial speed towards the origin, so

r'(0)=w(B-A) does not equals zero, but a certain initial velocity and so

r'(0)=w(B-A)=Vo means

B=(Vo/w)+A

Therefore, the case where r decreases in time should satisfy

r=Ae^(-wt)+[(Vo/w)+A]e^(wt)

Is this correct, or is there another way of showing this ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good so far. You have not yet found the explicit solution where r decreases continuously in time.

Is it possible then to choose A such as A=-Vo/w? That way I'll have just r=Ae^(-wt) which decreases with time.

Yes. Good.

Your derivation and solution for the first part is correct. To show that there is a solution where r decreases in time, you can also use the equation for velocity in polar coordinates, which is given by v = rθ'. From this, we can see that for r to decrease, we need θ' to be negative. Thus, we can choose initial conditions where r'(0) = 0 and θ'(0) = -w, which will result in a solution where r decreases in time. This can also be seen from your solution, as when t=0, the second term in the solution (e^(wt)) will have a negative coefficient, causing r to decrease.

1. What is the "Bead on rotating rod" experiment?

The "Bead on rotating rod" experiment is a classic physics demonstration that involves a bead moving along a rotating rod. The rotation of the rod creates a centrifugal force that causes the bead to move outward, against the force of gravity.

2. What is the purpose of the "Bead on rotating rod" experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the principle of centripetal force and its relationship to rotation and inertia. It also serves as a visual representation of the concept of centrifugal force.

3. How is the "Bead on rotating rod" experiment set up?

The experiment typically involves a long, thin rod that is attached to a rotating motor. A bead is placed on the rod and the rotation is started. The speed of the rotation can be adjusted to vary the results.

4. What factors affect the motion of the bead in the "Bead on rotating rod" experiment?

The speed of rotation, the mass of the bead, and the distance of the bead from the center of rotation all affect the motion of the bead. The greater the speed of rotation and the further the bead is from the center, the stronger the centrifugal force acting on the bead will be.

5. What real-life examples can be related to the "Bead on rotating rod" experiment?

The "Bead on rotating rod" experiment can be related to many real-life examples, such as a car turning a corner, a satellite orbiting Earth, or a spinning top. In each of these cases, an object is experiencing centripetal force due to rotation.