1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bead on spinning hoop

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bead of mass m is constrained to move on a hoop of radius R which is spinning with angular velocity ω. There is no friction.

Determine the angle θ at which the bead does not move for angular velocity ω. Do not consider the solution θ = 0.

YuMvt.png

2. Relevant equations

τ = r F cos θ = I α
    α = a / r

3. The attempt at a solution

Tried using formulas for torque - ended up with F = m R tan θ * α and α=α/ cos θ. Can't figure out what to do next. Also not sure about my free body diagram.

Free body diagram:
    Force upwards due to angular velocity
    Force downwards due to gravity.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2

lewando

Gold Member

Angular velocity is constant, so no torque involved. There is a normal force from the hoop acting on the bead. There is also a centripetal force.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  4. Nov 10, 2012 #3
    So there would be a downward force for gravity, a force towards the center of the hoop for centripetal force, and another force in the same direction for the normal force?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  5. Nov 10, 2012 #4

lewando

Gold Member

The normal force will be pointing to the center of the hoop (normal to a tangent line where the bead and hoop intersect). Downwards for mg--correct, centripetal force is an outward force (think of the bead in orbit about the vertical axis of the hoop).

6. Nov 10, 2012 #5
    So the centripetal force would be perpendicular against the vertical axis, and point torwards it?

7. Nov 10, 2012 #6

lewando

Gold Member

I always struggle on how to word this properly so here goes: The force that holds the bead in orbit is the centripetal force. You are correct that it is an inward force, not outward as I had incorrectly stated*. This force is provided by the horizontal component of the normal force. You can say that the centripetal force is equal to the horizontal component of the normal force.

*I tend to look at these types of problems from the perspective of rotating along with the hoop...

8. Nov 10, 2012 #7
    So there would be -mg and Fn cos θ in the vertical direction, and Fn sin θ = m v2 / r in the horizontal direction?

9. Nov 10, 2012 #8

lewando

Gold Member

10. Nov 10, 2012 #9
    So Fn = m v2 / (r sin θ) = m ω2 r / sin θ

And solving Fn cos θ - m g = 0 :
    ω2 r cos θ/ sin θ - g = 0
    ω2 r cos θ/ sin θ = g
    cot θ = g / (ω2 r)
    and θ = arccot(g / (ω2 r))

Is that right?

11. Nov 10, 2012 #10

lewando

Gold Member

I think the little r is not the same as the big R.

12. Nov 10, 2012 #11
    Little r is the distance from the bead to the axis, correct?

So that would be r = R sin θ

ω2 r cos θ/ sin θ = g
    ω2 (R sin θ) cos θ/ sin θ = g
    cos θ = g / (ω2 R)
    and θ = arccos(g / (ω2 R))

13. Nov 10, 2012 #12

lewando

Gold Member

That looks right--good job by you!

14. Nov 10, 2012 #13
    Thanks for your help

15. Nov 10, 2012 #14

lewando

Gold Member

You're welcome. This problem is almost exactly similar to a tetherball-type problem. Other than checking your math for errors (to validate your answer), and if you have any extra non-existant free time, grab a string, length R, and tie it to a mass of your choosing and see how fast it needs to rotate to achieve an eyeball-45 degree angle. See if this reality matches your result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook