Bead sliding inside a paraboloid

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bead sliding under the influence of gravity on a frictionless surface, specifically the paraboloid of revolution z=(x^2+y^2)/2a. The goal is to find the speed v_0 at which the bead will move in a horizontal circle of radius r_0 and the frequency of small radial oscillations around this circular motion. The equations used in the solution include F=ma, \dot{r}=\dot{r}\mathbf{e}_r+r\dot{\theta}\mathbf{e}_{\theta}+\dot{z}\mathbf{k}, and \ddot{r}=(\ddot{r}-r\ddot
JyJ

Homework Statement

A bead slides under the influence of gravity on the frictionless interior surface of the paraboloid of revolution [tex] z = (x^2+y^2)/2a = r^2/2a [/tex] Find the speed [tex] v_0 [/tex] at which the bead will move in a horizontal circle of radius [tex] r_0 [/tex] Find the frequency of small radial oscillations around this circular motion.

Homework Equations

[tex] F=ma \\
\dot{r} = \dot{r}\mathbf{e}_r + r\dot{\theta}\mathbf{e}_{\theta} + \dot{z}\mathbf{k} \\
\ddot{r} = (\ddot{r} - r \ddot{\theta}^2)\mathbf{e}_r+ (r \ddot{\theta}+2 \dot{r} \dot{\theta})\mathbf{e}_{\theta}+\ddot{z}\mathbf{k}

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I chose cylindrical coordinates to work with, and deduced equations for each of [tex] \mathbf{e}_r, \mathbf{e}_{\theta}, \mathbf{k} [/tex] from [tex] \mathbf{F} = m\mathbf{a} = \mathbf{N}+ m\mathbf{g} [/tex]. This gave me 3 equation which I then rearranged to eliminate [tex] N [/tex] as well as [tex] z [/tex] by using the fact that [tex] \ddot{z} = (\dot{r}^2 - r\ddot{r})/a [/tex]
After all of this, the problem was reduced to just 2 equations:
[tex] \ddot{r}(a^2+r^2) + \dot{r}^2 r + arg - (a^2h^2/r^3) = 0 [/tex] where [tex] h = r^2\dot{\theta} [/tex]
Here [tex] h [/tex] is angular momentum which is conserved.
Now, from this stage I am not sure if what I am doing is right. For particle moving in a horizontal circle we have that [tex] z [/tex] and [tex] r [/tex] are unchanged and so I suppose [tex] \ddot{r} = \dot{r} = 0 [/tex] Plugging into equation gives:
[tex] arg - a^2h^2/r^3 = 0 \\
r = r_0 = (ah^2/g)^{1/4} [/tex]
Also [tex] \dot{r} = \dot{r}\mathbf{e}_r + r\dot{\theta}\mathbf{e}_{\theta} + \dot{z}\mathbf{k}=r\dot{\theta}\mathbf{e}_{\theta} \\
\dot{r} = v_0 = r\ddot{\theta} = rh/r^2 = g^{1/4}/(\sqrt{h}a^{1/4}) [/tex]
As for small radial oscillations I considered small deviations from the circular path by introducing [tex] r = z + \epsilon [/tex] with [tex] z=r_0 [/tex] which I calculated to be [tex] r_0 = (ah^2/g)^{1/4} [/tex] After plugging this into the equation of motion and getting rid of powers higher than [tex] \epsilon [/tex] I get something not very pretty:
[tex] \ddot{\epsilon}(a^2+z^2)z^3 + \epsilon (agz^3 + 3az^3) + az^4 - a^2h^2 = 0 [/tex]
Without considering the particular integral this has cos and sin in it, so I presume the frequency would be:
[tex] f = \sqrt{(ag+3a)/(a^2+z^2)} [/tex] and then of course I can substitute z.

Please advise if my argument is valid. Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello JyJ, :welcome:

I have difficulty understanding your paraboloid equation: to me it looks more like a circle (z=0) or a cylinder (##r=\rho##)...

BvU said:
Hello JyJ, :welcome:

I have difficulty understanding your paraboloid equation: to me it looks more like a circle (z=0) or a cylinder (##r=\rho##)...
Hi,
I just corrected the equation: it should be z = (x^2+y^2)/(2a) or z = r^2/(2a) in cylindrical coordinates. Sorry for the confusion

JyJ said:
This gave me 3 equation
Indulge me and show them
JyJ said:
problem was reduced to just 2 equations:
and you show one. What is the other ?
##
\dot{r} = v_0 = r\ddot{\theta} = rh/r^2 = g^{1/4}/(\sqrt{h}a^{1/4})## did you check the dimensions ?

Furthermore: an equation like $$
\dot{r} = \dot{r}\mathbf{e}_r + r\dot{\theta}\mathbf{e}_{\theta} + \dot{z}\mathbf{k}$$ is very confusing. How about$$
\dot{\vec r} = \dot{\rho}\mathbf{e}_\rho + \rho\dot{\theta}\mathbf{e}_{\theta} + \dot{z}\mathbf{k}\ \ ?$$

BvU said:
Indulge me and show them
and you show one. What is the other ?
##
\dot{r} = v_0 = r\ddot{\theta} = rh/r^2 = g^{1/4}/(\sqrt{h}a^{1/4})## did you check the dimensions ?

\dot{r} = \dot{r}\mathbf{e}_r + r\dot{\theta}\mathbf{e}_{\theta} + \dot{z}\mathbf{k}$$ is very confusing. How about$$
\dot{\vec r} = \dot{\rho}\mathbf{e}_\rho + \rho\dot{\theta}\mathbf{e}_{\theta} + \dot{z}\mathbf{k}\ \ ?$$
For the 3 component equations I obtained:
$$ m(\ddot{r} - r(\dot{\theta})^2) = -\frac{Nr}{\sqrt(r^2+a^2)} \\
\frac{m} {r} d/dt(r^2\dot{\theta}) = 0 \\
m\ddot{z} = \frac{Na}{\sqrt(r^2+a^2)} - mg $$
where N is the magnitude of the normal force.
After eliminating N and z, I indeed showed only one (oops) but in fact I got 2:
$$ \ddot{r} - r(\dot{\theta})^2 = -\frac{r}{a} (\frac{(\dot{r})^2 - r\ddot{r}} {a} + g) \\
\frac{1}{r} \frac{d}{dt}(r^2\dot{\theta}) = 0 $$
and it is the second equation that I used to deduce that angular momentum h is conserved. I then substituted $$ \dot{\theta}^2 = h^2/r^4 $$ into the first equation to get rid of theta.
As for dimensions, something is wrong as I get the following:
$$ \frac {(ms^{-2})^{1/4}} {m\sqrt(\frac{radians} {s}) m^{1/4}} = m^{-1}radians^{-1/2} $$
I can't really interpret it as velocity :(

Last edited:
\dot{\vec r} = \dot{\rho}\mathbf{e}_\rho + \rho\dot{\theta}\mathbf{e}_{\theta} + \dot{z}\mathbf{k}\ \ ?$$[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree, it should be a vector - I cannot edit that in for some reason

Are we still busy finding ##v_0## when ##r_0## is given ? Isn't it easier there to set ##\dot \rho = \dot z = 0## ?

By the way, I thought angular momentum also has a factor mass :rolleyes:

JyJ said:
For the 3 component equations I obtained:
$$ m(\ddot{r} - r(\dot{\theta})^2) = -\frac{Nr}{\sqrt(r^2+a^2)} \\
\frac{m} {r} d/dt(r^2\dot{\theta}) = 0 \\
m\ddot{z} = \frac{Na}{\sqrt(r^2+a^2)} - mg $$
where N is the magnitude of the normal force.
After eliminating N and z, I indeed showed only one (oops) but in fact I got 2:
$$ \ddot{r} - r(\dot{\theta})^2 = -\frac{r}{a} (\frac{(\dot{r})^2 - r\ddot{r}} {a} + g) \\
\frac{1}{r} \frac{d}{dt}(r^2\dot{\theta}) = 0 $$
and it is the second equation that I used to deduce that angular momentum h is conserved. I then substituted $$ \dot{\theta}^2 = h^2/r^4 $$ into the first equation to get rid of theta.
As for dimensions, something is wrong as I get the following:
$$ \frac {(ms^{-2})^{1/4}} {m\sqrt(\frac{radians} {s}) m^{1/4}} = m^{-1}radians^{-1/2} $$
I can't really interpret it as velocity :(
BvU said:
Are we still busy finding ##v_0## when ##r_0## is given ? Isn't it easier there to set ##\dot \rho = \dot z = 0## ?

By the way, I thought angular momentum also has a factor mass :rolleyes:
Yes, I guess so since in what I have so far the units give something rather bizarre. When I was calculating v_0 I had: $$\vec{v_0} = r\dot{\theta}^2\mathbf{e}_\theta$$ in which I assumed $$\dot{r} = \dot{z} = 0$$
As for the angular momentum I don't quite see how factor m can appear in my derivation from:
$$\frac{m}{r} \frac{d}{dt}(r^2\dot{\theta}) = 0 $$
since $$\frac{m}{r} $$ is never equal to zero and so the terms inside d/dt must be constant.

Can you post a simple free body diagram of the bead (in the simple ##v_0, \rho_0\ ## case) ?

BvU said:
Can you post a simple free body diagram of the bead (in the simple ##v_0, \rho_0\ ## case) ?
Yes of course! Hope this will be sufficient:
20180227_000334.jpg

Attachments

• 20180227_000334.jpg
    20180227_000334.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 716
Very good. This way the relationship between the forces ( ##\vec N + m\vec g = \vec F_c## ) becomes clear. An angle and a magnitude in equation form is the next step.

1. How does a bead slide inside a paraboloid?

A bead sliding inside a paraboloid follows the path of a parabola due to gravity. The shape of the paraboloid allows the bead to slide in a curved path, rather than a straight line.

2. What factors affect the speed of the bead sliding inside a paraboloid?

The speed of the bead sliding inside a paraboloid is affected by the angle of the paraboloid, the mass of the bead, and the force of gravity.

3. Can a bead slide inside a paraboloid without the force of gravity?

No, the force of gravity is necessary for the bead to slide inside a paraboloid. Without gravity, the bead would not have a curved path and would simply fall straight to the bottom of the paraboloid.

4. What is the mathematical equation for the path of a bead sliding inside a paraboloid?

The equation for the path of a bead sliding inside a paraboloid is a parabola, which can be represented by the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants determined by the angle and size of the paraboloid.

5. How is the motion of a bead sliding inside a paraboloid similar to other curved paths?

The motion of a bead sliding inside a paraboloid is similar to the motion of objects in other curved paths, such as a ball rolling down a curved ramp or a satellite orbiting a planet. In all of these cases, the object is following the path of a curve due to the force of gravity.