Velocity of Bead Relative to Wedge on a Smooth Hemispherical Surface

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of velocity for a bead pushed towards the right on a smooth hemispherical wedge. The equations used are $MV = m(v\cos(\theta)-V)$ and $mgR(1-cos(\theta)) = (1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)MV^2$, which results in the equation $v = \sqrt{\frac{2gR(1-cos(\theta))(m+M)^2}{(M+m)^2+Mm(cos(\theta))^2}}$. However, this answer is incorrect and a mistake is identified in the definition of v in the second equation. After correcting this mistake, the final equation becomes $v =
Sanchayan Dutta

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

A bead of mass m kept at the top of a smooth hemispherical wedge of mass M and radius R is gently pushed towards right.As a result,the wedge slides due left.Find the magnitude of velocity of bead relative to the wedge.

Homework Equations

$$MV=m(v\cos(\theta)-V)$$
and,

$$mgR(1-cos(\theta))=(1/2)mv^2+(1/2)MV^2$$ i.e.
$$mgR(1-cos(\theta))=(1/2)mv^2+(1/2)M(\frac{mvcos(\theta)}{m+M})^2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

On solving the two equations I get $$v=\sqrt{\frac{2gR(1-cos(\theta))(m+M)^2}{(M+m)^2+Mm(cos(\theta))^2}}$$

But this answer is wrong according to my book.Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you define v? You seem to use two different definitions in the first two equations.

mfb said:
How do you define v? You seem to use two different definitions in the first two equations.

Oh that's my mistake.So in the second equation i should use $$\sqrt{(vcos(\theta)-V)^2+(vsin(\theta))^2}$$ instead of v.Right?

That would make it consistent, yes.

1. What is the concept of "bead sliding on hemisphere" in science?

The concept of "bead sliding on hemisphere" in science refers to the study of the motion of a bead sliding on a curved surface, specifically a hemisphere. This is often used as a model to understand various physical phenomena, such as friction, gravity, and motion.

2. What factors affect the motion of a bead sliding on a hemisphere?

The motion of a bead sliding on a hemisphere is affected by several factors, including the angle of the hemisphere, the weight and size of the bead, and the presence of any external forces, such as friction or gravity.

3. How does the shape of the hemisphere affect the bead's motion?

The shape of the hemisphere can significantly impact the motion of a bead sliding on it. A steeper or more curved hemisphere will result in a faster and more erratic motion for the bead, while a flatter hemisphere will lead to a slower and more controlled motion.

4. What is the significance of studying bead sliding on a hemisphere?

Studying bead sliding on a hemisphere can help scientists better understand the principles of motion and how different forces interact with each other. This knowledge can then be applied to real-world scenarios, such as designing better transportation systems or predicting the behavior of objects in space.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the bead sliding on hemisphere concept?

Yes, the concept of bead sliding on a hemisphere has several real-world applications. For example, it is used in the design of roller coasters and other amusement park rides to ensure the safety and enjoyment of riders. It is also used in the study of planetary motion and the behavior of particles in space.