Calculating Angular Velocity of Beads on a Rotating Hoop

• Thread starter Karol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotating
In summary, a vertical hoop of mass M is able to rotate without friction around the z axis. Two beads of mass m each are placed at the top of the hoop and begin to slide down, causing the hoop to rotate with an initial angular velocity ω0. The coefficient of friction is μ and the radius of the hoop is R. The angular momentum is conserved and can be calculated using the equations for centripetal force, angular momentum, and moment of inertia. The final angular velocity ω at angle θ can be found using the mass of the hoop and the initial angular velocity ω0.
Karol

Homework Statement

A vertical hoop of mass M can rotate round the z axis without friction. 2 beads of mass m each are at the top and start sliding, one on each side. the hoop starts to rotate with angular velocity ω0. the coefficient of friction is μks=μ and R is the hoop's radius.
What's ω when the beads are at angle θ. Hint: think which parameters are conserved.

Homework Equations

Centripetal force: ##F=m\frac{v^2}{R}=m\omega^2 R##
Angular momentum: ##L=m\omega R^2##
Moment of inertia of a hoop about it's diameter: ##I=\frac{1}{2}MR^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

The angular momentum is conserved since there is no torque round ##\hat{z}##, but i guess the initial angular momentum is 0 since the beads are at the top.
The angular momentum at angle θ: ##L=2m\omega R^2\sin^2\theta##

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm curious about the problem statement.

Is the hoop is being forced to spin at ω0? (Otherwise won't we need the hoop's mass?)

Are we supposed to find the angular speed of the beads about the z-axis? Or are we trying to find ##\dot \theta##?

I think the hoop is forced to spin at the start at ω0, and i suppose it decreases as the beads fall. we search for ω at angle θ, so we seek the angular speed of the beads about the z-axis.

But how should we be able to determine how quickly the hoop slows down unless we know the mass?
(We would use conservation of angular momentum like you tried, but the initial angular momentum would not be zero, it would be that of the hoop, which depends on it's mass.)

You are right, i forgot the hoop's mass M!
I will try to solve:
$$\frac{1}{2}MR^2\omega_0=\frac{1}{2}MR^2\omega+2m\omega R^2\sin^2\theta$$
$$\omega=\frac{MR^2\omega_0}{MR^2+4mR^2\sin^2\theta}$$
It's wrong

Last edited:
Karol said:
You are right, i forgot the hoop's mass M!
I will try to solve:
$$\frac{1}{2}MR^2\omega_0=\frac{1}{2}MR^2\omega+2m\omega R^2\sin^2\theta$$
$$\omega=\frac{MR^2\omega_0}{MR^2+4mR^2\sin^2\theta}$$
It's wrong
I agree with your answer, I don't know why it would be wrong. (You can cancel the R2 though.)

You are right Nathanael this is one of the possible answers (with R2 canceled)

What is the concept behind "Beads on a rotating hoop"?

The concept of "Beads on a rotating hoop" involves a hoop or circular ring that is rotating at a constant speed. Small beads or objects are placed on the hoop and they are subject to the centrifugal force created by the rotation of the hoop.

What is the significance of studying "Beads on a rotating hoop"?

Studying "Beads on a rotating hoop" can help us understand the dynamics of rotating systems and the effects of centrifugal force on objects. It also has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and even biology.

How does the speed of rotation affect the behavior of the beads?

The speed of rotation directly affects the magnitude of the centrifugal force acting on the beads. As the speed increases, the centrifugal force also increases, causing the beads to move further away from the center of the hoop. At a certain speed, the beads may even fly off the hoop due to the strong centrifugal force.

What factors can affect the motion of the beads on the rotating hoop?

Aside from the speed of rotation, the size and weight of the beads, as well as the radius of the hoop, can also affect the motion of the beads. The shape and surface of the hoop can also play a role in the behavior of the beads.

How is "Beads on a rotating hoop" related to real-life scenarios?

The concept of "Beads on a rotating hoop" can be observed in various real-life scenarios, such as the rotation of a spinning top, the motion of a rollercoaster, and even the movement of planets in our solar system. It is also used in the design of centrifuges and other rotating machinery.