1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beam bending question

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1
    !!Help Please!! Bending (stuck)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\sigma_{max}=\frac{Mc}{I}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure where I am messing this up.

I am pretty I found I correctly to be 140.144.

But I think I am using the wrong internal force.

I am going with replacing the distributed load with a concentrated load and getting:

[tex]\sigma_{max}=\frac{4*8*w*c}{I}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow w=\frac{22(10^6)(140.14)}{4*8*5.3}[/tex]

But this is off by many orders of magnitude. It is supposed to be w=1.65 kip/ft

Where am I going wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2008 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

First off recalculate your area moment of inertia, i got about 150. Now, why do you think the moment must be equal to 4*8*w??, first off imagine the bending moment diagram. If you notice by symmetry the max positive and negative value will be equal. Now imagine how will the first max value of moment will be achieved? it'll be after the shear becomes 0 (in this case, because we don't have any couples), then the moment's slope will go negative ( [itex] \frac{dM}{dx} = V [/itex]), therefore at 8 feet the moment will have its highest value. By using this arguement, you can obtain the value of w. Also, don't forget to convert from Kip-in to Kip-ft. Good luck!

4. Mar 31, 2008 #3
    Hi,

I have had a go at your problem, Im from Australia tho so I usually work with Metric units so I may need to you clarify a few things up with some of my workings.

Hope It helps you out in someway, If I have made any mistakes (most likely) please let me know.

Regards
    Elbarto

Attached Files:

5. Apr 1, 2008 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Very well worked, i just don't feel it's good posting the complete solution.

PS:
    I made a mistake the moment's slope is 0 between both distributed loads, not negative like i said above.

6. Apr 1, 2008 #5
    Cyclovenom, can you confirm that the end result is correct? I wasn't sure on the multiplication of the units given in the problem as I have never worked with ksi, lbs, ft before (see the final section of calculations).

It might not have been the best idea to post the entire solution, but the question is a good example of statics/mechanics of material that I think others may also find useful. Of course if this is discouraged then I will change the structure of my replies in the future.

Regards Elbarto

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?