Calculating Maximum Stress in a Beam - where did I go wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating a maximum stress value using the equation \sigma_{max}=\frac{Mc}{I}. It is mentioned that the calculated value is off by many orders of magnitude and the correct value is supposed to be w=1.65 kip/ft. The conversation includes discussions on recalculating the area moment of inertia and determining the correct value for the internal force. Solutions and clarifications are provided by multiple individuals, with one person ultimately posting a complete solution.
Saladsamurai
!Help Please! Bending (stuck)

Homework Statement

ppppp.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\sigma_{max}=\frac{Mc}{I}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where I am messing this up.

I am pretty I found I correctly to be 140.144.

But I think I am using the wrong internal force.

I am going with replacing the distributed load with a concentrated load and getting:

[tex]\sigma_{max}=\frac{4*8*w*c}{I}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow w=\frac{22(10^6)(140.14)}{4*8*5.3}[/tex]

But this is off by many orders of magnitude. It is supposed to be w=1.65 kip/ft

Where am I going wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
First off recalculate your area moment of inertia, i got about 150. Now, why do you think the moment must be equal to 4*8*w??, first off imagine the bending moment diagram. If you notice by symmetry the max positive and negative value will be equal. Now imagine how will the first max value of moment will be achieved? it'll be after the shear becomes 0 (in this case, because we don't have any couples), then the moment's slope will go negative ( [itex] \frac{dM}{dx} = V [/itex]), therefore at 8 feet the moment will have its highest value. By using this arguement, you can obtain the value of w. Also, don't forget to convert from Kip-in to Kip-ft. Good luck!

Hi,

I have had a go at your problem, I am from Australia tho so I usually work with Metric units so I may need to you clarify a few things up with some of my workings.

Hope It helps you out in someway, If I have made any mistakes (most likely) please let me know.

Regards
Elbarto

Attachments

• net example.doc
    102.5 KB · Views: 185
elbarto said:
Hi,

I have had a go at your problem, I am from Australia tho so I usually work with Metric units so I may need to you clarify a few things up with some of my workings.

Hope It helps you out in someway, If I have made any mistakes (most likely) please let me know.

Regards
Elbarto

Very well worked, i just don't feel it's good posting the complete solution.

PS:
I made a mistake the moment's slope is 0 between both distributed loads, not negative like i said above.

Cyclovenom, can you confirm that the end result is correct? I wasn't sure on the multiplication of the units given in the problem as I have never worked with ksi, lbs, ft before (see the final section of calculations).

It might not have been the best idea to post the entire solution, but the question is a good example of statics/mechanics of material that I think others may also find useful. Of course if this is discouraged then I will change the structure of my replies in the future.

Regards Elbarto

1. What is beam bending?

Beam bending is the deformation of a beam under applied loads, such as weight or force. It can result in changes in the shape or curvature of the beam.

2. What factors affect beam bending?

There are several factors that can affect beam bending, including the material properties of the beam (such as strength and stiffness), the type and magnitude of the applied load, and the beam's shape and dimensions.

3. How is beam bending calculated?

Beam bending can be calculated using equations from mechanics, such as Euler-Bernoulli beam theory, which takes into account the beam's properties and the applied loads. There are also computer programs available that can simulate beam bending for more complex situations.

4. What are the consequences of excessive beam bending?

Excessive beam bending can lead to structural failure, as the beam may no longer be able to support the applied loads. It can also cause problems with the functionality of the structure, such as increased deflection or vibrations.

5. How can beam bending be prevented or reduced?

Beam bending can be prevented or reduced by using materials with higher strength and stiffness, properly designing and reinforcing the beam, and distributing the loads evenly across the beam. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any potential issues with beam bending.