Calculating Bending Result of Volumetric Strain in a Beam

In summary: M1, M2 and F. In summary, the equation for M1 is: M1=F*(1-e-t/a) and the equation for M2 is: M2=F*(1+e-t/a) where t is the thickness of the beam.
ScarTissue
I'm working on a problem involving the bending of a beam.

The bending is a result of an expansion within the beam, rather than an external load. Basically, there is an expansion in the volume of one side of the beam and a contraction on the other side. I have therefore calculated a volumetric strain distribution for a coss-section of the beam. What I need to know how to do, is calculate the resultant bending for that strain distribution. How would I go about this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi-
for volumetric strain distribution I suppose that you mean the trace of the deformation tensor. But in principle it is not enough to reconstruct the displacement field, and then the bending. What about beam constraints? Is this volume expansion/contraction due to temperature variations?

M

You haven't stated why there is an expansion on one side and a contraction on the other.

Whatever the reason, even if the beam is composed of a single material, for analytical purposes, it should be treated as though it were made of two different parts.

I have started you off with the attached sketch.

First we observe that at any section AA there is axial equilibrium. So the force in the tensile part is equal and opposite to the force in the compression part.

This pair of forces forms a couple which is balanced by bending moments developed within the material of each part. Each part develops a separate moment as shown.

So we get a second equation by summing these moments and equating them to this couple.

There are two equations and three unknowns (F, M1, M2) so we appeal to strain compatibility to supply a third equation. Then we can solve.

However to derive the third equation we need to know and factor in the effect of the source of the expansion.

So over to you

Attachments

• bendy1.jpg
    bendy1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 452

1. How do you calculate the bending result of volumetric strain in a beam?

The bending result of volumetric strain in a beam can be calculated using the formula: R = EI(Δ/Δx), where R is the bending result, E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the moment of inertia, Δ is the volumetric strain, and Δx is the distance over which the strain is measured.

2. What is the modulus of elasticity in relation to calculating bending result of volumetric strain in a beam?

The modulus of elasticity, denoted as E, is a measure of a material's stiffness and its ability to resist deformation. It is an essential parameter in calculating the bending result of volumetric strain in a beam as it relates to the material's ability to withstand stress and strain.

3. How does the moment of inertia affect the bending result of volumetric strain in a beam?

The moment of inertia, represented by the symbol I, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. In the context of calculating the bending result of volumetric strain in a beam, a higher moment of inertia indicates a greater resistance to bending and results in a lower bending result.

4. What is the significance of measuring the distance over which the strain is calculated?

The distance, Δx, over which the strain is measured is crucial in determining the bending result of volumetric strain in a beam. It represents the length of the beam that is experiencing the strain and is used in the formula to calculate the bending result.

5. How does the volumetric strain impact the overall structural integrity of a beam?

Volumetric strain refers to the change in volume of a material due to applied stress. In a beam, this strain can result in bending and deformation, which can ultimately affect the structural integrity of the beam. It is essential to accurately calculate the bending result of volumetric strain to ensure the beam's stability and safety.