Understanding Beam Calculations for Engineers: Solving for Second Moment of Area

In summary, Chestermiller is having difficulty understanding the details of a structural calculation. He tried to work back to determine the engineer's units, but they don't seem to fit. He used 2.29 in both calculations, and it is unclear what the purpose of this is. He also calculated the second moment of area using a beam with a span of 4.675m and a load of 11.4 and 8.2 kN/m. The moment of inertia about the neutral axis was calculated to be 3252 cm^4 and 3252.38 cm^4.
jonnybmac
<<moderator note, moved from a homework forum, hence the template.>>

1. Homework Statement

I'm trying to work out what 2.29 is in an equation an engineer has used for what i believe is supposed to be the second moment of area. See photo for report.

Homework Equations

See screenshot photo

The Attempt at a Solution

See photo. I tried to work back to determine his units but they don't seem to tie in. 2.29 * 8.2 * 4.675^3 = 1919

But he's using kN/m and m^3 to give an answer of cm^4. Surely this doesn't work?

Also why would he use the length of the beam and load without a safety factor to determine the second moment of area.

I see he uses 2.29 in both calcs so i presume it relates to, or could be the second moment if area but it would need something to cancel out the Newtons and every calc I've done for the second moment of area for an i beam doesn't give any 2.29

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180710-090440.png
    Screenshot_20180710-090440.png
    13 KB · Views: 411
  • 20180709_200129.jpg
    20180709_200129.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 399
  • received_10160738692485531.jpeg
    received_10160738692485531.jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 467
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you please show a clean diagram of the beam with supports and loading, together with a diagram showing the dimensions of the cross section? Also showing support constraint conditions. It is really impossible to make sense out of the diagrams you have provided (except for the first).

Hi Chestermiller and thank you for reading my post.
I don't have any diagrams myself as I was more just trying to view the calculations to understand how they are done. I have a photo of the finished beams in place if that may help to visualize and I have also done a diagram for the cross section of the 254 x 102 x 25 universal beam.

From viewing his bending moment calculation he has taken a UDL simply supported beam at a span of 4.675m

I have also added a couple close ups of the calculations he has used. He has used the sum of the calculations from the total amount of dead and imposed loads in kN/m at 11.4 kN/m and 8.2 kN/m for inner and outer beam respectively.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• received_10160738692485531.jpeg
    received_10160738692485531.jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 451
  • 20180710_164905.jpg
    20180710_164905.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 338
  • Screenshot_20180710-165230.png
    Screenshot_20180710-165230.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 413
  • Screenshot_20180710-165300.png
    Screenshot_20180710-165300.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 374
All I'm asking for is a sketch, with the dimensions on it (including the cross section).

Sorry, would this be sufficient?

Many thanks
Jonathan

Attachments

• 20180711_083853.jpg
    20180711_083853.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 383
  • 20180711_083913.jpg
    20180711_083913.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 387
jonnybmac said:
Sorry, would this be sufficient?

Many thanks
Jonathan
I'm really having a lot of trouble understanding the details of this. What is the "dead load" supposed to be, and where is it applied to the beam (if at all)? What does S.F. stand for? Have you tried setting up this calculation on your own (from scratch) to see how your results compare? What did you calculate for the moment of inertial about the neutral axis (I will do the calculation and compare)? I would be interested in seeing all your own calculations for this problem.

For the moment of inertial about the neutral axis, I get 3252 cm^4

Chestermiller said:
For the moment of inertial about the neutral axis, I get 3252 cm^4

I get also 3252.38 cm^4. Which doesn't tie into any of his calculations and I have no idea why he would use the span of the beam and the sum of the loads per kN/m to calculate this(His Ixx calculations). His calculations to me do noy make sense but I'm no expert in the structural field.

As i said these are not my calculations. I'm just trying to decipher them and understand how you would calculate a beam size required, for a span of a gap with a specific load as the only experience I have is calculating shear forces and bending monents within a beam from academic study. Also using the bending equation B/I = σ/y = E/R. But wasn't sure how i could actually use all of this to determine a required beams dimensions so wanted to study the report that an engineer has do e recently for my parents house, but cannot understand his workings.

The dead load I presume is the ststic load, the weight of the roof, wall, floor and beam.

The imposed would be the live load, i.e accounting for people etc.

S.f is the safety factor. Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

Many thanks
Jonathan

Last edited:
I think we can make sense out of this, but it is difficult to understand his diagrams. You have provided a diagram of the distributed load, but I would like to see where the dead loads fit into the picture. Probably what he has done is derived an equation for the maximum tensile stress (at the outside of the bend) and compared that with the ultimate strength of the material in conjunction with a safety factor. I think you are very close to having this all deciphered.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help

1. What is a beam calculation?

A beam calculation is a mathematical process used to determine the strength, deflection, and other characteristics of a beam under various loads and conditions. It involves analyzing the beam's geometry, material properties, and external forces to ensure the beam is able to withstand the expected loads without failure.

2. Why are beam calculations important?

Beam calculations are important because they ensure the structural integrity and safety of a building or other structure. By calculating the maximum load a beam can support, engineers can design structures that can safely withstand the expected forces and prevent collapse or other failures.

3. What factors are considered in beam calculations?

Beam calculations take into account a variety of factors, including the beam's material properties (such as strength and stiffness), its geometry (such as length and cross-sectional shape), and the type and magnitude of external forces that will act upon it.

4. How are beam calculations performed?

Beam calculations are typically performed using mathematical equations and formulas, often with the aid of specialized software programs. These calculations involve solving for various parameters, such as stress, deflection, and bending moment, to determine the beam's overall behavior under different loading conditions.

5. What are some common mistakes in beam calculations?

Some common mistakes in beam calculations include using incorrect or outdated equations, not accounting for all relevant forces and factors, and using inaccurate material properties. It is also important to consider factors such as temperature, corrosion, and creep when performing beam calculations to ensure accurate results.