1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Beam-Column Analysis(looking for reading material)

1. Apr 29, 2016 #1
    Refer to Attachment:
    Acme Rod (Segment AD)
    Thrust Bearing (Point A & D)
    Nut (Point C)
    Platform (Segment CB): Force is applied to the platform

Scenario:
    The rotational motion (due to the input torque) of the acme rod is used to translate the platform (due to the translation of the nut) with the applied force.

1. Assume the platform is fixed to the nut
    2. The following are known: Applied Force, Input Torque, acme rod dimensions and material properties, acme rod end support, Location of applied force, Location of platform.

My Work:
    I performed eigenvalue buckling with the following assumptions:
    1. Assumed Static Equilibrium
    2. Assumed the applied force was axially applied at the top of the acme rod
    3. Assumed linear buckling and non eccentric loading
    4. acme rod end condition: Fix-Fix
    I then determined the critical load

********(Help)**********
    If it makes sense, I'd like to perform
    1. eccentric, nonlinear, and post buckling analysis for the acme rod,
    2. Determine the max displacement of the acme rod such that the nut can not longer transverse.

What I've Found:
    in regards to:
    (1) above: Reading material on wide flanged cross sections. I can't find material on circular cross sections.
    (2) above: Nothing.

********(Finally)**********
    Please guide me to reading material on
    1. For Circular Cross Section: eccentric, nonlinear, and post buckling analysis for the acme rod,
    2. Determine the max displacement of the acme rod such that the nut can not longer transverse.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted