Understanding Beam Deflection in Double Cantilever Beams

In summary, the deflection of a double cantilever beam (fixed at both ends) increases when the length increases, decreases when the width increases, and decreases when the thickness increases. This is due to the relationship between deflection, load, boundary conditions, material elasticity, and the geometric properties of the beam. Specifically, as the moment of inertia (I) increases, the deflection decreases.
Tammy....

Homework Statement

Can someone please tell me why in a double cantilever beam (fixed at both ends) the deflection increases when the length increases, the defelction decreases when the width increases and the deflection decreases when the thickness increases. I don't want to no why it does these in relation to the formula... just the physics part of it... thanx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Tammy... said:

Homework Statement

Can someone please tell me why in a double cantilever beam (fixed at both ends) the deflection increases when the length increases, the defelction decreases when the width increases and the deflection decreases when the thickness increases. I don't want to no why it does these in relation to the formula... just the physics part of it... thanx
Tammy, I'm not sure what you mean by the 'physics' part of it; for a given load and end conditions, the deflection of any beam will increase when its length increases or when its width or depth (its area moment of inertia) decreases, per the deflection formula which is a function of load, boundary conditions, material elasticity, and the geometric properties of the beam. Are you looking for the math behind the physics? If this is a homework question, can you be a bit more specific and show some attempt at answering your own question?

Um... well its for an assignment... does the deflection decrease when the thickness and width increase becasue there is more area... like there is less stress because it is spread over a larger area which would cause less deflection?

Tammy... said:
Um... well its for an assignment... does the deflection decrease when the thickness and width increase becasue there is more area... like there is less stress because it is spread over a larger area which would cause less deflection?
That's pretty much correct, except, to be technically correct, you should substitute the word "area (A)'' with the term "moment of inertia (I)". In beams subjected to bending loads, both stress and deflection are functions of I, not A, although I and A are related.

oh ok... Thanks heaps for your help :)

what do you want an experiment in a laboratory ,or what?

1. What is beam deflection?

Beam deflection is the deformation or bending of a beam due to an applied load. It is a measure of how much a beam will bend under a specific load.

2. How do I calculate beam deflection?

Beam deflection can be calculated using various methods, such as using the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation or using a beam deflection calculator. The calculation will depend on the type of beam, its dimensions, and the applied load.

3. What factors affect beam deflection?

The factors that affect beam deflection include the type of beam, its material properties, the dimensions of the beam, and the magnitude and direction of the applied load. Other factors such as temperature, support conditions, and external forces can also impact beam deflection.

4. What are the units of beam deflection?

Beam deflection is typically measured in units of length, such as millimeters, inches, or meters. The specific unit will depend on the units used for the beam dimensions and load in the calculation.

5. Why is beam deflection important?

Beam deflection is important because it helps engineers and designers understand how a beam will behave under different loads. This information is crucial in determining the structural integrity and stability of a beam, and can also impact the overall design and safety of a structure.