1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beam Deflection

1. Sep 5, 2006 #1
    Ok I was given this problem:

Problem: The deflection d of a cantilever beam of length L is given by the mechanics of materials equation [tex]d=PL^3/3EI[/tex]

Where P is the force on the end of the beam and E is the modulus of elasticity, which has the same dimensions as pressure.Determine the dimensions of I which is the moment of Inertia.

Are they simply asking you to manipulate the equation for I? If so would the following be correct? A little help would be appreciated, thanks.

[tex] I= 1/d(PL^3/3E)[/tex]:confused:
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2006 #2
    Any help appreciated.
  4. Sep 5, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

is this a dimensional problem?, like stress is F/L^2, in a gravitational system (FLT)
  5. Sep 6, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Generally, we define the moment of inertia for a rigid body as [tex]\int_{V} r^2 \rho dV = \int_{V} r^2 dm[/tex], so the dimension is [kg*m^2]. But, in mechanics of materials, we define the axial moment of inertia of a cross section with the area A, as [tex]\int_{A} r^2 dA[/tex], where r is the perpendicular distance of the elementary area dA to the axis for which the moment of inertia is defined, so, for example, we have [tex]I_{z}=\int_{A} y^2 dA[/tex]. So, the dimension is [m^4], which fits into your problem of expressing I out of d = PL^3 / 3EI.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?