How do I calculate the beam energy for fixed target experiments?

In summary, Colin was stuck on the first calculation and was too embarrassed to ask his professor for help.
colin.mcenroe
Hello all,

I apologize if this is posted in the incorrect forum. I started working on a summer research project today and it is a part of the STAR experiment. Well, I am a fourth year undergrad (though I am slow by one year) and I am really in over my head here. The professor gave me an another fellow undergrad a text called Ultrarelativistic Heavy-Ion Collisions and set us loose with it. He wants us to use it to learn all about kinematics and such, and I am totally lost because this book seems aimed at graduate level students. He gave us three exercises to work out, but neither my associate nor I were able to complete them. I hope this doesn't violate any rules, but I would like your advice on how to tackle the following problem:

For fixed target experiments, given a kinetic energy of the beam, calculate the beam energy and momentum in the laboratory frame, the rapidity covered in the lab, yproj − ytarg, the center-of-mass rapidity, the velocity of the beam in the laboratory frame, √ S, Ecm, pcm, and the velocity of the beam in the center-of-mass frame. Write the expression used to calculate each quantity. Assume pp interactions with a proton mass of 0.938272 GeV. The velocities should be in c = 1 units so that v ≡ β. The values of Eare 10, 100 and 500 MeV, 1, 2, 10, 14, 60, 160 and 200 GeV.

Now I am stuck on the very first calculation, the beam energy and momentum but I am too embarrassed to ask my professor for help on this stuff because he said it would be really easy. Thanks for your advice!

Colin

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the rest mass of the proton, How are Total energy, rest mass and Kinetic Energy related?

This is really elementary stuff and should have been covered in your Modern Physics class... I think you might be over thinking things here.

Yeah, sorry about that, figured it out the next morning when I went back. :blushing:

1. What is beam energy calculation?

Beam energy calculation is a process used to determine the energy of a particle beam, such as in a particle accelerator. It involves using mathematical equations and experimental data to calculate the energy of the individual particles in the beam.

2. Why is beam energy calculation important?

Beam energy calculation is important for several reasons. It allows scientists to understand the behavior and properties of particle beams, which can have practical applications in fields such as medicine and energy production. It also helps in the design and optimization of particle accelerators for various research purposes.

3. How is beam energy calculated?

Beam energy is typically calculated using the equations of motion and conservation of energy principles. This involves determining the mass, velocity, and acceleration of the particles in the beam and using these values in the equations to calculate their energy.

4. What factors can affect beam energy calculation?

There are several factors that can affect beam energy calculation, including the type and energy of the particles in the beam, the magnetic and electric fields used to accelerate the particles, and the design and characteristics of the particle accelerator being used.

5. Can beam energy calculation be used for other types of beams besides particle beams?

While beam energy calculation is primarily used for particle beams, the same principles and equations can be applied to other types of beams, such as electromagnetic beams used in communication or laser beams used in manufacturing. However, the specific calculations and factors may differ depending on the type of beam being analyzed.