Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beam Equations

1. Jan 10, 2008 #1
    I'm out of college for decades, and all my "handbooks" and college books have been packed away and inaccessible for some months.

I need a source, or the equations as follows [all very simple, fundamental stuff; Chap One in "Strength of Materials", so to speak]

1] Beam supported both ends, with W downward force NOT NECESSARILY in the center.
    2) Cantilever beam; rigidly affixed to one end, with W downward force at some location.
    3] Same as one, but with uniformly distributed load
    4] Same as two, but with uniformly distributed load.

When I do searches on the internet, I get thousands, but all in reports, or something; I just need the equations; yes, you may email me if you prefer.

Thank you very much.

LarryR : )
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

This is a page from the EIT handbook.

Attached Files:

4. Jan 10, 2008 #3

Science Advisor

"Roak's Formulas for Stess & Strain" is a good handbook with every equation for beams I can think of in it. Ton's of equations in it.

5. Jan 11, 2008 #4
    Are there more pages available?

Available to be "seen". Do YOU have to download ea page, for example as you did in THIS response? The internet is SO big, yet I cannot find the simplest equations as in a text book.

I DO thank you for your efforts; I was beginning to give up; I've got to dig out [from SOMEWHERE] my old "Strength of Materials" book and Schaum's Outline for same.

LarryR : )
  6. Jan 11, 2008 #5

Science Advisor

7. Jan 31, 2008 #6
    Try this :
  8. Jan 31, 2008 #7
  9. Jan 31, 2008 #8
    If you may need some similar information again try:

"Mark's Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers"

I believe it is on the 10th edition now.
  10. May 26, 2008 #9
    can anyone explain how the formulas where derived - unmathematically. AKA. layman's terms????
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?