Finding Equations for Simple Structural Mechanics Problems

In summary, the conversation revolved around the need for equations related to beams and strength of materials. The person was looking for simple, fundamental equations from a textbook or handbook but was having trouble finding them on the internet. They were directed to try the EIT handbook, which is available for download, and other sources such as "Mark's Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers". The person also requested layman's terms explanation for the formulas.
LareeRudi
I'm out of college for decades, and all my "handbooks" and college books have been packed away and inaccessible for some months.

I need a source, or the equations as follows [all very simple, fundamental stuff; Chap One in "Strength of Materials", so to speak]

1] Beam supported both ends, with W downward force NOT NECESSARILY in the center.
2) Cantilever beam; rigidly affixed to one end, with W downward force at some location.
3] Same as one, but with uniformly distributed load
4] Same as two, but with uniformly distributed load.

When I do searches on the internet, I get thousands, but all in reports, or something; I just need the equations; yes, you may email me if you prefer.

Thank you very much.

LarryR : )

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is a page from the EIT handbook.

Attachments

• beams.PDF
    41.9 KB · Views: 280
"Roak's Formulas for Stess & Strain" is a good handbook with every equation for beams I can think of in it. Ton's of equations in it.

CS

Are there more pages available?

FredGarvin said:
This is a page from the EIT handbook.

Available to be "seen". Do YOU have to download ea page, for example as you did in THIS response? The internet is SO big, yet I cannot find the simplest equations as in a textbook.

I DO thank you for your efforts; I was beginning to give up; I've got to dig out [from SOMEWHERE] my old "Strength of Materials" book and Schaum's Outline for same.

LarryR : )

Try this :

try this: http://www.aps.anl.gov/asd/me/Calculators/ElasticBeam2.html

If you may need some similar information again try:

"Mark's Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers"

I believe it is on the 10th edition now.

can anyone explain how the formulas where derived - unmathematically. AKA. layman's terms?

1. What is structural mechanics?

Structural mechanics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of the behavior of structures, such as buildings, bridges, and machines, under applied forces and loads. It involves the analysis of how these structures deform and respond to external forces in order to ensure their safe and efficient design.

2. Why is finding equations for simple structural mechanics problems important?

Finding equations for simple structural mechanics problems is important because it allows us to accurately analyze and predict the behavior of structures under different loading conditions. This information is crucial in ensuring the safety and stability of structures, as well as optimizing their design and performance.

3. What are some common types of simple structural mechanics problems?

Some common types of simple structural mechanics problems include calculating the stress and strain on a beam under a given load, determining the deflection of a structure under a specific load, and analyzing the stability of a structure against buckling under different loading conditions.

4. How do you find equations for simple structural mechanics problems?

To find equations for simple structural mechanics problems, we use the principles of mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and Hooke's law, to derive equations that relate the applied forces and loads to the resulting stresses, strains, and deformations in the structure. We also use mathematical methods, such as integration and differentiation, to solve these equations and obtain the desired results.

5. What are some tools and techniques used to solve simple structural mechanics problems?

Some common tools and techniques used to solve simple structural mechanics problems include free body diagrams, stress-strain diagrams, and Mohr's circle for stress analysis. Numerical methods, such as finite element analysis, are also commonly used to solve more complex structural mechanics problems.