1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beam Equations

1. Jan 10, 2008 #1
    I'm out of college for decades, and all my "handbooks" and college books have been packed away and inaccessible for some months.

I need a source, or the equations as follows [all very simple, fundamental stuff; Chap One in "Strength of Materials", so to speak]

1] Beam supported both ends, with W downward force NOT NECESSARILY in the center.
    2) Cantilever beam; rigidly affixed to one end, with W downward force at some location.
    3] Same as one, but with uniformly distributed load
    4] Same as two, but with uniformly distributed load.

When I do searches on the internet, I get thousands, but all in reports, or something; I just need the equations; yes, you may email me if you prefer.

Thank you very much.

LarryR : )

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2008 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

This is a page from the EIT handbook.

Attached Files:

4. Jan 10, 2008 #3

stewartcs

Science Advisor

"Roak's Formulas for Stess & Strain" is a good handbook with every equation for beams I can think of in it. Ton's of equations in it.

CS

5. Jan 11, 2008 #4
    Are there more pages available?

Available to be "seen". Do YOU have to download ea page, for example as you did in THIS response? The internet is SO big, yet I cannot find the simplest equations as in a text book.

I DO thank you for your efforts; I was beginning to give up; I've got to dig out [from SOMEWHERE] my old "Strength of Materials" book and Schaum's Outline for same.

LarryR : )

6. Jan 11, 2008 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

7. Jan 31, 2008 #6
    Try this :

8. Jan 31, 2008 #7
  9. Jan 31, 2008 #8
    If you may need some similar information again try:

"Mark's Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers"

I believe it is on the 10th edition now.

10. May 26, 2008 #9
    can anyone explain how the formulas where derived - unmathematically. AKA. layman's terms????

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?