Determine Forces Acting on Rope for Homogeneous L-Shaped Beam

In summary, the conversation discusses a homogeneous beam shaped in the letter L, suspended by two ropes of equal length. The beam is thin and has one arm that is three times longer than the other. The question is how to determine the forces on the ropes at points A and B in two different situations. The first situation is shown in a picture, while the second situation involves solving a similar example with a weight on two ropes. The conversation suggests decomposing the gravitational force on the beam and taking moments about one end of the beam to determine the forces on the ropes. The conversation also brings up the idea of using a 3:1 ratio to decompose the force. The overall goal is to find equations that can be used to solve for
Numeriprimi
Homogeneous beam shaped in letter L is suspended on two ropes of the same length l.
The beam is of negligible thickness and its longer arm is three times longer than the shorter arm. Its overall length is l as well as the length of one rope. Look at each situation in the figures. How can I determine the forces acting on the rope at points A and B in both situations?
There is picture on first example: http://fyzikalniolympiada.cz/archiv/55/fo55a1_z.pdf

I really don't know, how to do it. Gravitational force acts on the beam, OK... And I have to
decompose the force on the beam. But how? What is different in the two situations? I don't know...
May I can decompose in ratio 3:1.
I solved a example where was a weight on two ropes and I must to determine the forces on ropes like on pictures of second example (http://fyzikalniolympiada.cz/archiv/54/fo54d1_z.pdf). However, I think it was easier... Is the example with beam similar? I really don't know more, sorry... Please, give me a advice and sorry for my English.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the total vertical force in each case, right? What equation does that give you?
Try taking moments about one of the ends of the beam.
Please post whatever equations you can develop.

1. What are the forces acting on a rope attached to a homogeneous L-shaped beam?

The forces acting on a rope attached to a homogeneous L-shaped beam include the weight of the beam, any external loads applied to the beam, and the reactions at the support points where the rope is attached.

2. How do you determine the weight of the beam?

To determine the weight of the beam, you will need to know the density of the material the beam is made of, as well as its volume. You can then calculate the weight using the formula weight = density x volume.

3. What is the process for calculating external loads on the beam?

The process for calculating external loads on the beam involves identifying all the external forces acting on the beam, such as applied forces or moments. You will then need to use equations of equilibrium to determine the magnitude and direction of these external loads.

4. How do you calculate the reactions at the support points?

The reactions at the support points can be calculated using equations of equilibrium. These equations state that the sum of all forces in the x-direction and y-direction must equal zero, and the sum of all moments around any point must equal zero.

5. Are there any simplifying assumptions when determining forces on a rope and beam system?

Yes, there are some simplifying assumptions that are often made when determining forces on a rope and beam system. These may include assuming that the beam is in static equilibrium, neglecting the weight of the rope, and assuming that the rope and beam are both perfectly rigid. These assumptions may not always hold true in real-world scenarios, so it is important to carefully consider any potential variations or limitations in your calculations.