Help with Beam Physics Problem - Get the Answer Now!

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 9m beam of mass 300 kg and a 75 kg student attempting to position the beam on a ledge so that they can walk to the end of it. The problem involves finding the maximum distance the beam can extend from the edge of the ledge and the need for the sum of moments to be zero or positive counterclockwise. The person asking for help is struggling to solve the problem and is asking for assistance.
SsUeSbIaEs
This is probably a real easy problem but I can not get this problem right for my life, so would someone please help me out here :redface:

A 9m beam of mass 300 kg extends over a ledge, the beam is not attatched, but simply rests on the surface. A 75 kg student intends to position the beam so that he can walk to the end of it. Hwo far from the edge of the ledge can the beam extend?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The sum of the moments needs to be zero or, assuming the beam extends out to the right, positive counterclockwise.

Can you post what you've tried so far?

Sure, I'd be happy to help you with this beam physics problem! First, let's start by drawing a free-body diagram of the beam and the student. We have the weight of the beam acting downwards at its center of mass, and the weight of the student acting downwards at the end of the beam. We also have a normal force acting upwards at the end of the beam where it rests on the surface.

Next, we can apply the condition for rotational equilibrium, which states that the sum of the torques acting on an object must be equal to zero. In this case, we have two torques - one from the weight of the beam and one from the weight of the student.

To solve for the distance from the edge of the ledge, we can set up the following equation:

Torque from beam weight = Torque from student weight

We know that the torque from the beam weight is equal to the weight of the beam multiplied by the distance from the center of mass to the end of the beam. Similarly, the torque from the student weight is equal to the weight of the student multiplied by the distance from the end of the beam to the edge of the ledge.

So, we can set up the equation as follows:

(300 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(x) = (75 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(9m - x)

Where x represents the distance from the end of the beam to the edge of the ledge. Solving for x, we get x = 2.25m.

Therefore, the beam can extend 2.25m from the edge of the ledge for the student to safely walk on it. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

What is beam physics?

Beam physics is the study of the behavior and properties of charged particles as they travel through electromagnetic fields, such as those found in particle accelerators, electron microscopes, and other devices.

What is a beam physics problem?

A beam physics problem is a specific issue or challenge related to the behavior of particles in a beam. It could involve designing a beamline, optimizing beam parameters, or analyzing data from an experiment.

Why is beam physics important?

Beam physics is important for a variety of reasons. It is essential for understanding and improving the performance of particle accelerators, which are used in many fields of research and technology. It also plays a crucial role in medical imaging and cancer treatment, as well as in the development of new materials and technologies.

What skills are needed to solve beam physics problems?

Solving beam physics problems requires a strong background in physics, particularly in electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. It also requires proficiency in mathematical modeling and simulation, as well as experience with relevant software and experimental techniques.

How can I get help with a beam physics problem?

If you are struggling with a beam physics problem, there are several resources available to help you. You can consult with colleagues or experts in the field, attend workshops or conferences, or seek assistance from online resources or software programs specifically designed for beam physics problems.