Beam selection (steel I-beam)

• Thread starter Jaydee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, to confirm a suitable replacement steel i-beam for a wooden rectangular beam with a max bending moment of 1780N/m2, the following steps should be taken: 1. Review bending moment and stress, and use consistent units throughout. 2. Treat the wood and steel beams as separate problems with their own loading and allowable stress. 3. Calculate the maximum bending moment for each beam. 4. Using the depth and I value from the table, solve for maximum stress and compare to the maximum allowable stress. 5. Iterate until the best beam for the loads is found. There is a shortcut, but it is important to understand the process fully.
Jaydee
TL;DR Summary
Increase loading on a beam by using steel instead of wood and proving suitability.
Hi all,
I have calculated that a wooden rectangular beam has a max bending moment of 1780N/m2 and I want to increase loading by 10times and use the table for a replacement steel i-beam.

Steel max stress = 275MN/m^2

and

safety factor of 2

How would a suitable beam be confirmed given the data? perhaps I'm making silly errors but I'm just not understanding how its done to the values found in the tables.

So far I've got:

275/2 = 137.5MN/m2 = max allowable stress
Max bending moment = 17800N/m2
How do I go about picking a suitable I beam from just this data?
Any help would be great.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210106_175352.jpg
    20210106_175352.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to go back to the beginning, and use a step by step approach.

1) Start by reviewing bending moment and stress, and the units for each. Use consistent units throughout, such as MPa for stress.

2) Forget the "increase loading by 10 times". Recognize that the wood beam and steel beam are two different problems, each with its own loading and allowable stress.

3) Calculate the maximum bending moment for each beam. Refer to your course notes on moment diagrams.

4) Pick a steel beam from the table, then solve for maximum stress using the depth and ##I## value from the table. Compare to the maximum allowable stress, then pick another beam from the table, and repeat the calculation. Iterate until you find the best beam for your loads. There is a shortcut, but do it this way until you fully understand the process.

1. What is a steel I-beam?

A steel I-beam is a structural component made of steel that is shaped like the letter "I". It is commonly used in construction to support heavy loads, such as in building frames and bridges.

2. What factors should I consider when selecting a steel I-beam?

When selecting a steel I-beam, you should consider the load it will be supporting, the length of the beam, and the span it needs to cover. Other factors to consider include the type of connections needed, the type of steel used, and the desired dimensions of the beam.

3. What are the advantages of using steel I-beams?

Steel I-beams have several advantages, including their high strength-to-weight ratio, durability, and resistance to fire and corrosion. They are also relatively easy to install and can be used in a variety of construction projects.

4. How do I determine the appropriate size for a steel I-beam?

The appropriate size for a steel I-beam depends on several factors, such as the load it will be supporting, the span it needs to cover, and the type of connections used. You can consult a structural engineer or use online beam selection tools to determine the appropriate size for your specific project.

5. Can steel I-beams be used in residential construction?

Yes, steel I-beams can be used in residential construction. They are commonly used to support the weight of floors, walls, and roofs in residential buildings. However, their use may be limited by local building codes and regulations, so it is important to consult with a professional before using them in a residential project.