Select an Economical Beam Section for Moment Requirements

In summary, for determining the economical section of a beam based on maximum moment requirements, the unbraced length must be less than the braced length (Lp > 3m). The resistance to the maximum bending moment in the unbraced segment must also be greater than 312 kN-m (MLp > 312 kN-m). For the braced section, the appropriate section modulus must be found (Zx > 1,127000mm^3) and based on this, the W310 * 97 beam would be the most suitable option as it has all required properties and is also the lightest beam available. A clear diagram would have been helpful in interpreting the question with certainty.
Brendan Webb
If the unbraced length of a beam is 3 m and the maximum bending moment in this unbraced segment is 312 kN-m, and also the maximum moment in the braced segment of the beam is 350 kN-m, select an economical section just based on the moment requirements. Use Table A.2M included in the course materials.

I am having problems with this question I am not sure how to address the maximum moment in the braced section of the beam. I know that the beam's Lp has to be higher than the unbraced length as Lp denotes the maximum un-braced length of the compression flange for which the maximum design stress for a compact symmetrical shape may be used. So Lp > 3m. I also know that the beam's resistance to the maximum bending moment in this unbraced segment must be greater than 312kN - m. So MLp > 312 kN - m.

For the braced length I believe have to find an appropriate section modulus.
So:

0.9 Fy = M/ZxZx = (350kN - m * (1000^3))/(0.9 * 345000kpa)

Zx = 1,127000 mm^3

So the Zx of the beam must be greater than this (Zx > 1,127000mm^3).

Based upon this I would select W310 * 97 as all of its properties are larger than what's required. It is also the lightest beam that is able to do this.

Any pointers on if I did this right? Attached is the Table.

Thanks

Attachments

• Table A.2M - Metric Beams.pdf
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,808
Question is difficult to interpret with certainty . Nice clear diagram would help .

Nidum said:
Question is difficult to interpret with certainty . Nice clear diagram would help .
Thanks for the reply, I believe I solved the problem (or at least I sent in my assignment with my interpreted answer). Next time I post I will include the diagram and make my thoughts extra clear.

Cheers

1. How do I determine the moment requirements for a beam?

To determine the moment requirements for a beam, you will need to consider the load applied to the beam, the length of the beam, and the type of support at each end of the beam. Using structural analysis methods, you can calculate the maximum bending moment that the beam will experience.

2. What factors should I consider when selecting an economical beam section?

When selecting an economical beam section, you should consider the required moment capacity, the material properties, the desired depth and width of the beam, and the cost of the beam. It is important to find a balance between cost and structural efficiency.

3. How do I determine the required moment capacity of a beam?

The required moment capacity of a beam can be determined by multiplying the maximum bending moment by a safety factor and dividing by the allowable stress for the chosen material. The maximum bending moment can be calculated using structural analysis methods.

4. What are the most commonly used materials for economical beam sections?

The most commonly used materials for economical beam sections include steel, timber, and reinforced concrete. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to consider the specific requirements of your project.

5. How do I compare the cost-effectiveness of different beam sections?

To compare the cost-effectiveness of different beam sections, you can calculate the cost per unit length of each beam and compare them. You should also consider the structural efficiency and potential long-term maintenance costs of each beam section.