1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beam splitter->ONB->transition amplitudes

1. Jun 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a general beam splitter is charcatericed by its transition amplitudes Sxy=<Xin|Yout> where X,Y=L or R. |Lin> represents a photon wich leaves the beam splitter to the right. we are only considering photons with the same energy and polarization and neglect all other state parameters.
    the beam splitter is loss-free, what mathematical properties has the matrix S of transition amplitudes?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    {|Xin>,|Yout>} form an orthonormal basis and |Yout>=[itex]\sum[/itex]SXY|Xin>. S describes the change of basis. S preserves the inner product, therefor S is unitary.

i am reviewing problem sets, because i have quantum mechanics exam tomorrow. i have a question. could i also take for example |Yin>, |Xin> as basis vectors? why do i know that S preserves the inner product.

thanks!

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?